Re: Manuscript

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
      Ahlan ya Haytham,

      I think this is "zarafshan" which means "gold flecking" in Persian.
      It is spelled "Zerefşan" in Modern Turkish. Many early 16th c example
      of marbling feature this over top of the marbling.

      I believe an example of is posted on the Bibliothèque Nationale site.

      Were you able to find the book Fan ul Khatt by M. Uğur Derman? It is
      the Arabic translation of his Turkish book Islam Kültür Mirasinda Hat
      San'atı.

      Some years ago, I saw it being sold by Madbuli's bookshop in Midan
      Talat Harb, but it was very expensive.

      Here are more links:
      http://marbling.org/internet_links.htm#edu
      http://www.uoguelph.ca/%7Eagokcen/ebruli/
      http://security.ece.orst.edu/koc/favorites/ebru/

      and this one in Turkish contains a number of images:
      http://www.turkislamsanatlari.com/ebru/index.html

      Also, if you search the marbling list for my name name, you will find
      many links posted.

      ma'a salamah,

      Jake

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, haytham kamal <senefru1@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jake,
      > I have uploaded the image to an album called manuscripts, its name
      is "ConsulterElementNum1", Because I am new in the art of marbling I
      can't recognize if the background of this manuscript is made using
      marbling or not.

      > about the Ottoman panel I tried hard to read the signature but I
      couldn`t, I will ask others to try, may be !
      > I wish if you kindly send to me more web sites of auctions where I
      may find examples like this Ottoman panel.