Manuscript

  • haytham kamal
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
      Is the background of the attached manuscript made using the marbling technique?

      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
        Haytham,

        Your image was not attached. Please post it to a photo album on the
        group web site:

        Incidentally, an early 19th c. Ottoman calligraphy panel featuring the
        Ayat ul Kursi, written on marbled paper has come up for auction at
        Sotheby's. The border appears to be of the "sprinkled" stencil variety.

        http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159438928

        The signature is a bit difficult to make out though. Any thoughts?

        Jake

        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, haytham kamal <senefru1@...> wrote:

        > Is the background of the attached manuscript made using the marbling
        technique?

      • haytham kamal
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
          Hi Jake,
          I have uploaded the image to an album called manuscripts, its name is "ConsulterElementNum1", Because I am new in the art of marbling I can't recognize if the background of this manuscript is made using marbling or not.

          about the Ottoman panel I tried hard to read the signature but I couldn`t, I will ask others to try, may be !
          I wish if you kindly send to me more web sites of auctions where I may find examples like this Ottoman panel.
          thank you,
          Haytham

        • Jake Benson
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
            Ahlan ya Haytham,

            I think this is "zarafshan" which means "gold flecking" in Persian.
            It is spelled "Zerefşan" in Modern Turkish. Many early 16th c example
            of marbling feature this over top of the marbling.

            I believe an example of is posted on the Bibliothèque Nationale site.

            Were you able to find the book Fan ul Khatt by M. Uğur Derman? It is
            the Arabic translation of his Turkish book Islam Kültür Mirasinda Hat
            San'atı.

            Some years ago, I saw it being sold by Madbuli's bookshop in Midan
            Talat Harb, but it was very expensive.

            Here are more links:
            http://marbling.org/internet_links.htm#edu
            http://www.uoguelph.ca/%7Eagokcen/ebruli/
            http://security.ece.orst.edu/koc/favorites/ebru/

            and this one in Turkish contains a number of images:
            http://www.turkislamsanatlari.com/ebru/index.html

            Also, if you search the marbling list for my name name, you will find
            many links posted.

            ma'a salamah,