New Member 01/27/01

  • Sonja Idema
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2001
      Hello everyone!
      I have just joined your informative list and have really enjoyed reading
      the posts here.
      My name is Sonja and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
      I have been marbling for about 6 years now and have just opened up a
      small cottage business out of my home and on the internet, making and
      selling my marbled papers. I know my marbled papers really don't
      compare to the likes of Diane Maurer-Mathison, Iris Nevins, Peggy
      Skycraft, Galen Barry and others, but I am quite content with what I do,
      although there is always room for improvement. In fact, I'd love to be
      able to take a class from any of these wonderful
      marblers...unfortunately, the exchange rate is atrocious and I do not
      have the means to visit the US to be able to do this.
      What I have a hard time finding in Canada is supplies necessary for
      marbling, especially for getting real crisp, clean results. We do carry
      a type of seaweed product called Sodium Alginate, but I find it almost
      too slimy to use, even when thinned down to a very liquid consistency.
      I have bought some Carrageenan through Mr. Barry and have been using it
      sparingly as it is quite an expensive product. I also use Liquitex
      acrylic paints mixed with distilled water and have sometimes used the
      Liquitex Marble Ease and even Photoflo as dispersants. Lately I just
      use the paints along with the distilled water with no problems. Again,
      some colors such as the reds do give me some grief...
      I have had wonderful results with the metallic paints, especially the
      interference paint on black Ingres. The people I sell my papers to,
      seem to always want the metallic...
      I also belong to our Calligraphy guild here and will be teaching basic
      marbling at the end of February. I did teach a class 2 years ago with a
      lot of enthusiasm from the group.
      I have found an absolutely wonderful paper that I picked up from a
      liquidation store called "Gilbert Bond" in which I don't need to alum at
      all as the paints seem to lay just fine on it without it. I cannot find
      a source where this paper was made. Does anyone have any idea where to
      look for this paper or suggestions on what other paper to use. I have
      tried "Strathmore writing" and find that it just does not lay well on
      the size and ends up with many a air bubble...
      Any help would be appreciated! Thanks so much!

      Sonja Idema
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
        So pleased to meet another Canuck on the list! I am in Ottawa--hello
        neighbour! LOL

        > I have just joined your informative list and have really enjoyed reading
        > the posts here.
        > My name is Sonja and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
        > I have been marbling for about 6 years now and have just opened up a
        > small cottage business out of my home and on the internet, making and
        > selling my marbled papers.
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
          > My name is Sonja and I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
          > I have been marbling for about 6 years now and have just opened up a
          > small cottage business out of my home and on the internet, making and
          > selling my marbled papers.

          Can we have your addie for the internet so we can see what you are
          doing?
          Thanks
          Jill
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2001
            From: "Sonja Idema" <sdidema@...>
            > What I have a hard time finding in Canada is supplies necessary for
            > marbling, especially for getting real crisp, clean results. We do carry
            > a type of seaweed product called Sodium Alginate, but I find it almost
            > too slimy to use, even when thinned down to a very liquid consistency.
            > I have bought some Carrageenan

            Yes--getting supplies in Canada IS a difficult task. I have up until
            now--gone through the States.
            Jill