Another "pochoir" stenciled design

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2008
      Hello again Haytham,

      I forgot that one other "pochoir" stenciled design was also sold at
      Sotheby's, in the same auction at the marbled "nag". This was the
      sale entitled "Arts of the Islamic World including 20th Century Middle
      Eastern Paintings"

      Sale: L01281 | Location: London, New Bond Street
      Auction Dates: Session 1: Thu, 18 Oct 01 10:30 AM

      Here is the link to the image:

      http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=PXPG

      Aspects of this are very similar to the borders of the "nag", although
      it is rendered on a blue background. More information about this
      style can be found in the appendix of the book by John Seyller that I
      mentioned.

      Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 23, 2008
        There were some very nice Pochoirs done for greeting cards in the 20s and 30s, maybe into the 40s. I collect them, just charming, the Christmas scenes. Of course nothing to do with marbling... but paper, yes!

        Iris Nevins www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>

        http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=PXPG<http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=PXPG>

        Aspects of this are very similar to the borders of the "nag", although
        it is rendered on a blue background. More information about this
        style can be found in the appendix of the book by John Seyller that I
        mentioned.

        Jake Benson

      • haytham kamal
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 23, 2008
          Dear Jake,
          As usual you provide us with rich and valuable information, thank you. Unfortunately the AUC library is being moved to new Cairo nowadays and issuance of visitors cards is stopped. I will check for the thesis on Mamluk bookbinding, thanks again

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
            Is the background of the attached manuscript made using the marbling technique?

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
              Haytham,

              Your image was not attached. Please post it to a photo album on the
              group web site:

              Incidentally, an early 19th c. Ottoman calligraphy panel featuring the
              Ayat ul Kursi, written on marbled paper has come up for auction at
              Sotheby's. The border appears to be of the "sprinkled" stencil variety.

              http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159438928

              The signature is a bit difficult to make out though. Any thoughts?

              Jake

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, haytham kamal <senefru1@...> wrote:

              > Is the background of the attached manuscript made using the marbling
              technique?

            • haytham kamal
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 24, 2008
                Hi Jake,
                I have uploaded the image to an album called manuscripts, its name is "ConsulterElementNum1", Because I am new in the art of marbling I can't recognize if the background of this manuscript is made using marbling or not.

                about the Ottoman panel I tried hard to read the signature but I couldn`t, I will ask others to try, may be !
                I wish if you kindly send to me more web sites of auctions where I may find examples like this Ottoman panel.
                thank you,
                Haytham

              • Jake Benson
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 25, 2008
                  Ahlan ya Haytham,

                  I think this is "zarafshan" which means "gold flecking" in Persian.
                  It is spelled "Zerefşan" in Modern Turkish. Many early 16th c example
                  of marbling feature this over top of the marbling.

                  I believe an example of is posted on the Bibliothèque Nationale site.

                  Were you able to find the book Fan ul Khatt by M. Uğur Derman? It is
                  the Arabic translation of his Turkish book Islam Kültür Mirasinda Hat
                  San'atı.

                  Some years ago, I saw it being sold by Madbuli's bookshop in Midan
                  Talat Harb, but it was very expensive.

                  Here are more links:
                  http://marbling.org/internet_links.htm#edu
                  http://www.uoguelph.ca/%7Eagokcen/ebruli/
                  http://security.ece.orst.edu/koc/favorites/ebru/

                  and this one in Turkish contains a number of images:
                  http://www.turkislamsanatlari.com/ebru/index.html

                  Also, if you search the marbling list for my name name, you will find
                  many links posted.

                  ma'a salamah,