Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • Erik Haagensen
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 5, 2008
      This is the popular explaination:
      (Maybe someone with better knowledge than me fill in here!?)

      Tixotropic is one of the properties of a fluid matter.
      If you apply mechanichal shearing force to a tixotropic material (let's
      say stirring it) it becomes "more fluid" - or getting a lower viscosity.
      It will regain higher viscosity if its left untouched for some time.
      The more tixotropic - the greater difference beween "unstirred"
      and "stirred" condition

      Many types of house paint have this property - they're like a soft
      gelly when you open the can - but becomes more fluid when stirred.

      Maybe the expression "pseudo plastic" also is used for this property in
      english - I'm not quite sure.

      As you perhaps understand this is not what you normally want for a
      marbling size - though it might give some interesting results !!
    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2008
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue