RE: [Marbling] Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • susanne martin
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 23, 2008
      __Oops! Meant to go to Jake only!______________________________
      > To: marbling@yahoogroups.com
      > From: alavee15@...
      > Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 02:09:34 +0000
      > Subject: RE: [Marbling] Re: Types of cellulose ethers
      >

      > Thanks Jake, that explains it. I went to a demo in Italy and when I told them that I marbled they let me try a sheet. It was a whole different experience, alot rougher and faster pace then what I am used to!
      > I hope you are keeping well. I got a interesting letter from Pyramiod Atlantic about the next Book Arts Fair. It sounds like the complaints were listened to, it looks like the next show is shaping up to be a good one, see you then!
      >
      > Susanne
      > ________________________________
      >> To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      >> From: jemiljan@...
      >> Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:47:57 +0000
      >> Subject: [Marbling] Re: Types of cellulose ethers
      >>

      >> Hi Susanne,
      >>
      >> I just asked a friend who worked for them for some years, and he said
      >> that they actually used boiled carragheen moss for size, but they did
      >> use oil colors and oil-based printing inks.
      >>
      >> Natural Carragheen moss contains three distinct types of gels,
      >> designated by a different Greek letter; Kappa, Iota, and Lambda.
      >> Kappa and Iota are less soluble and tend to form very viscous, even
      >> solid gels. The powdered carragheenan extract that is generally sold
      >> for marbling here in the US is refined lambda, which is a very fine
      >> gel that never really solidifies.
      >>
      >> Jake
      >>
      >> --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, susanne martin wrote:
      >>>

      >>> I think that maybe the people at Il Papiro in Italy also use this,
      >> their sizing is very thick.
      >>>
      >>> Susanne
      >>>

      >>> To: Marbling@...: jemiljan@...: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:08:43
      >> +0000Subject: [Marbling] Re: Types of cellulose ethers
      >>>

      >>> Erik,>I've heard that Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) is great for
      >> marbling.Did the person who told you this mention what kind of paints
      >> they wereusing? Much as MC HPMC and HMC have various kinds and grades,
      >> so does CMC. There is a kind made that is so viscous, it is used as a
      >> buildingmaterial and in architectural restoration. While I've never
      >> used it for any method of marbling, I do know paperconservators who
      >> use certain types of Sodium CMC in very low solutionsas as an
      >> adhesive. I
      >> have the impression that it is a lot more viscous and also also
      >> morepolar, which may limit the paint that is used to oil. In fact,
      >> Ithink that Asco marbling, a kind of oil-color method developed
      >> byartists at the Ascona School in Switzerland, is made on such a
      >> viscoussizing. If you try it out, let us know how it goes! Jake
      >> Benson--- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Haagensen"> wrote:>> I've heard that Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) is great for
      >> marbling.> Can anyone confirm this ??> ... or give comments>

      > Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give.
> [...]
    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9 4:56 AM
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue