Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 23, 2008
      Erik- can you obtain carragheen seaweed (Latin: Chondrus crispus) for
      marbling where you live?

      What is synthetic Ox gall?

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Haagensen" <erik@...> wrote:

      > I'm just in the starting phase of marbling and my experience is close
      > to zero.
      > I first tried out oil based paints on MC size - but had a lot of
      > trouble and small control of pattern.
      > Then I got hold of some samples of CMC and tried out water based paints
      > (which I made from Caran D'Ache aquarelle "chalks") and different
      > amount of syntetic oxgall. Suddenly I achieved something that looked
      > much better and felt that I actually could control the patterns of
      > several colours much better - even if the results were generally
      > somewhat pale.
      > According to the following technical datasheet for the CMC it should be
      > possible to adjust the rheology quite much. I made the size to a
      > viscosity similar to a thick coffee cream - maybe a little thicker.
      >
      > So... to me CMC seems to have some potensial. But as I said - my
      > experience is still close to zero. (But increasing!)

    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2008
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue