Re: Types of cellulose ethers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 22, 2008
      Erik,

      >I've heard that Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) is great for marbling.

      Did the person who told you this mention what kind of paints they were
      using?

      Much as MC HPMC and HMC have various kinds and grades, so does CMC.
      There is a kind made that is so viscous, it is used as a building
      material and in architectural restoration.

      While I've never used it for any method of marbling, I do know paper
      conservators who use certain types of Sodium CMC in very low solutions
      as as an adhesive.

      <http://aic.stanford.edu/sg/bpg/annual/v01/bp01-04.html>

      I have the impression that it is a lot more viscous and also also more
      polar, which may limit the paint that is used to oil. In fact, I
      think that Asco marbling, a kind of oil-color method developed by
      artists at the Ascona School in Switzerland, is made on such a viscous
      sizing.

      If you try it out, let us know how it goes!

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Haagensen" <erik@...> wrote:

      > I've heard that Carboxy Methyl Cellulose (CMC) is great for marbling.
      > Can anyone confirm this ??
      > ... or give comments

    • Sue Cole
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 9, 2008
        you can get a burnishing stone at Iris Nevins website:
        <http://www.marblingpaper.com/marbling3.html>

        Also, Peggy Skycraft sells MicroGlaze, another type of wax at her
        site:
        http://www.skycraft.com/skycraftMicroGlaze.html

        Also, I haven't done it myself, but for very long links, you can go to
        www.tinyurl.com and it will compress it for you for free.
        Sue