Re: What is ALUMN ??

  • Erik Haagensen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
      I also found some pages describing the materials closer:

      This means that I can either treat the paper with a water based
      solution of

      - AlK(SO4)2•12(H2O)
      or
      - Al2(SO4)3

      In what propotions should the mixture be made (as a starting point) ?
      Is it the same for both chemicals ?
    • GARRETT DIXON
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
        The proportions for the alum solution over the history of marbling have varied, but a solution of 10 grams of alum (either compound) for each 100 ml water (how much you make depends upon how much paper you will need - I usually make up a fresh supply each time I alum papers) is a good starting point. Boil the solution to dissolve the Alum crystals.
        Garrett Dixon