Marbling video on youtube

  • angchengsiew
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 18, 2008
      Greetings fellow members,

      <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4>

      From KETC, LIVING ST. LOUIS Producer Jim Kirchherr discovers the rare
      art of paper marbling—an old-fashioned way of making decorative sheets
      for the inside covers of books. Curtis Finley of Pacific, Missouri, is
      still one of the few people that marbles in his basement, using many
      different techniques and styles including the popular peacock and
      zebra designs. The St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of
      Missouri, St. Louis even held an exhibit exclusively for this art.

      John Ang
      Co-moderator
    • Bette Abdu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
        John, Thanks for telling us about this video. It seems to be a fairly
        balanced report ­ for TV. I was surprised by the statement that there are
        only about 1000 marblers in the US. Does anyone know if this is an accurate
        assessment? Is Curtis Finley a member of this group? Curtis are you there?
        Best regards
        Bette Abdu in NH

        On 1/19/08 12:38 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@...> wrote:

        > Greetings fellow members,
        >
        > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4>
        >
        > From KETC, LIVING ST. LOUIS Producer Jim Kirchherr discovers the rare
        > art of paper marbling—an old-fashioned way of making decorative sheets
        > for the inside covers of books. Curtis Finley of Pacific, Missouri, is
        > still one of the few people that marbles in his basement, using many
        > different techniques and styles including the popular peacock and
        > zebra designs. The St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of
        > Missouri, St. Louis even held an exhibit exclusively for this art.
        >
        > John Ang
        > Co-moderator

      • Eisemann
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
          John--Thanks for all the great information you bring to our attention. Elinor Eisemann

        • Dolores Guffey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
            Very informative and interesting video to watch. One comment should be noted that "there are no marbling supply stores" is a bit misleading...there are marbling supplies available from various places. Has anyone compiled a list of suppliers? I'm thinking of Iris Nevins, Diane Maurer, Colophon, Barry Galen, Talas, among others.

            d.guffey

            John, Thanks for telling us about this video. It seems to be a fairly
            balanced report ­ for TV. I was surprised by the statement that there are
            only about 1000 marblers in the US. Does anyone know if this is an accurate
            assessment? Is Curtis Finley a member of this group? Curtis are you there?
            Best regards
            Bette Abdu in NH

            On 1/19/08 12:38 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@...> wrote:

            > Greetings fellow members,
            >
            > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4>
            >
            > From KETC, LIVING ST. LOUIS Producer Jim Kirchherr discovers the rare
            > art of paper marbling-an old-fashioned way of making decorative sheets
            > for the inside covers of books. Curtis Finley of Pacific, Missouri, is
            > still one of the few people that marbles in his basement, using many
            > different techniques and styles including the popular peacock and
            > zebra designs. The St. Louis Mercantile Library at the University of
            > Missouri, St. Louis even held an exhibit exclusively for this art.
            >
            > John Ang
            > Co-moderator

          • angchengsiew
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
              Dolores,

              I have to agree with your comment.

              There a plenty of suppliers.

              Such a list exists over at the marbling society's website.
              Link:<http://www.marbling.org/internet_links.htm#suppliers>

              --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dolores Guffey" <dguff@...> wrote:

              > Very informative and interesting video to watch. One comment should
              be noted that "there are no marbling supply stores" is a bit
              misleading...there are marbling supplies available from various
              places. Has anyone compiled a list of suppliers? I'm thinking of
              Iris Nevins, Diane Maurer, Colophon, Barry Galen, Talas, among others.

              > d.guffey
            • Roger Austin
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 15 11:18 AM
                angchengsiew wrote:
                > Greetings fellow members,
                >
                > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk-Ta7ichz4>
                >
                >>From KETC, LIVING ST. LOUIS Producer Jim Kirchherr discovers the rare
                > art of paper marbling—an old-fashioned way of making decorative sheets

                Sorry for the delay. MissHunt and I attended this by accident when
                visiting her brother who taught at UMSL until retirement last year.
                The library was only a block from his office on campus. It was the
                first time I had been in St. Louis and we tried to see as much as
                possible. It was by happenstance that we were 1000 miles from home
                and stumbled on a marbling exhibit.
                The exhibit was well done and worth the visit. I remember they had
                photos of a number of the public events and demonstrations of
                marbling. The kids looked like they had a blast. There were probably
                30-40 papers up for display, plus a lot of the equipment and examples
                of older equipment. It is long gone now, but fun to look back on
                through the video.
                Thanks, Roger
                --
                Visit http://www.misshunt.com/ for fun and creative items including
                the famous Clean/Dirty dishwasher magnet, now available in velcro.