Re: What is ALUMN ??

  • Erik Haagensen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
      Could it be the same as Aluminium Sulfate (I'm not a chemist - so I
      don't know the formulae ?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
        for marbling you need either aluminum sulphate or aluminum potassium sulphate. Others don't work very well.
        Iris Nevins
        www.marblingpaper.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
          I also found some pages describing the materials closer:

          This means that I can either treat the paper with a water based
          solution of

          - AlK(SO4)2•12(H2O)
          or
          - Al2(SO4)3

          In what propotions should the mixture be made (as a starting point) ?
          Is it the same for both chemicals ?
        • GARRETT DIXON
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
            The proportions for the alum solution over the history of marbling have varied, but a solution of 10 grams of alum (either compound) for each 100 ml water (how much you make depends upon how much paper you will need - I usually make up a fresh supply each time I alum papers) is a good starting point. Boil the solution to dissolve the Alum crystals.
            Garrett Dixon