What is ALUMN ??

  • Erik Haagensen
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
      Can anyone help with the chemical formulae for this material?
      Different trade names etc does not help so much across languages - and
      even if the word exist in other languages it can be totally different
      materials/mixtures.
    • Erik Haagensen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
        Could it be the same as Aluminium Sulfate (I'm not a chemist - so I
        don't know the formulae ?
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
          for marbling you need either aluminum sulphate or aluminum potassium sulphate. Others don't work very well.
          Iris Nevins
          www.marblingpaper.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
            I also found some pages describing the materials closer:

            This means that I can either treat the paper with a water based
            solution of

            - AlK(SO4)2•12(H2O)
            or
            - Al2(SO4)3

            In what propotions should the mixture be made (as a starting point) ?
            Is it the same for both chemicals ?
          • GARRETT DIXON
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
              The proportions for the alum solution over the history of marbling have varied, but a solution of 10 grams of alum (either compound) for each 100 ml water (how much you make depends upon how much paper you will need - I usually make up a fresh supply each time I alum papers) is a good starting point. Boil the solution to dissolve the Alum crystals.
              Garrett Dixon