Vat Discharge Dying Workshop with Laura Sims at Arrowmont, March 16-22, 2008

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2008
      While looking at Arrowmont's site, I noticed that marbler Laura Sims
      will be teaching an interesting fabric dying workshop there from March
      16-22.

      March 16-22
      Reflections & Memories: Vat Dye Discharge on Fabric

      We all need reminders to reflect on nature's gifts and to remember
      moments with friends and family (two and four legged). Create a memory
      wall hanging inspired by personal photos, postcards and magazine
      clippings through various methods of composing imagery on fabric using
      vat dye discharge. Discharge paste mixed with vat dye powder is applied
      by stamping, painting or monoprinting methods. When steamed, the magic
      happens. The original color is removed and simultaneously replaced with
      new color. You will go home with samples and a piece ready to hang. All
      levels. Tuition: $440

      Laura Sims – textile artist, teacher, and author who has operated
      Indigo Stone Studio <http://indigostonestudio.com/> for over 20 years;
      member of Southern Highland Craft Guild, Carolina Designer Craftsman and
      founding member of Ariel Gallery, Contemporary Craft Cooperative in
      Asheville, NC
      <http://www.arielcraftgallery.com/gallery/fiber/laura-simms/> ; work
      exhibited internationally.