ammonia, super strength

  • enidadams
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2007
      Jake, thanks for the info on methyl cel. Since the types I've tried
      turn fairly clear at a high enough pH, I think you are right about
      their classification.

      Now I've run out of even my old ammonia from the cleaning product aisle
      and am having trouble finding one without surfactants. I realize I
      have a vast quantity of industrial strength ammonia which began as 29.4
      %ammonium hydroxide, used as a blueline print developer in my husband's
      old diazo machine. According to the print machine expert, the only way
      it has been chemically changed running through the machine is to dilute
      it, but I don't know how to test for current strenth, other than to use
      pH paper on the size. If it turns out to be useful for marbling, I
      will happily share it with other marblers for shipping charges,
      assuming I can ship it without a problem. I have several lifetime's
      supply.

      My guess is that cleaning product strength is probably diluted to about
      3-5%, but I don't have a bottle to check. (assumtions based on 5% white
      vinegar vs. 56% glacial acetic acid). I will try to find the MSDS on
      Parsons non-sudsing ammonia.

      I'll report back if I can find out about the types of methyl cel from
      Pro Chem and Jacquard. Does anyone have a valid e-mail for Gail
      MacKenzie? I think she knew these details but the address in the
      members info on this page doesn't work.

      Best to all, Enid
    • enidadams
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2007
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "enidadams" <enid@...> wrote:

        FOLLOW UP:
        >am having trouble finding one without surfactants.
        I will try to find the MSDS on
        Parsons non-sudsing ammonia.

        NO SUCH THING, AT LEAST ANY MORE--ALL PARSONS CONTAIN SURFACTANTS. THEY
        SAY THEIR STRENGTH IS PROPRIETARY INFORMATION. MSDS LISTS PH AS 11.5

        IF ANYONE ELSE HAS FOUND A BRAND IN THE GROCERY OR BIG BOX STORE THAT
        DOESN'T CONTAIN SURFACTANTS, PLEASE POST

      • carylhanc@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 24, 2007
          Hi, All,

          Today, running last minute errands, I happened upon clear ammonia at a Family Dollar Store.  While I am visiting in sunny Miami,  I think this is a national chain - at least we have it in the Midwest.  It was their house brand - "Family Dollar."

          Best wishes to all for a great , inspired and productive New Year with good health and safe travels!

           Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis