Re: Pigment Dyes for Marbling

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 14, 2007
      Pauli, Pigments and dyes tend to be two entirely different chemical or
      mineral compounds. The difference is that a dye is soluble whereas a
      pigment is insoluble in water or other solvents.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigment
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyes

      Do you have any more information on the specific product you are
      using? Many marblers use pigment colors, but for more
      traditional/historic techniques rather than the contemporary methyl
      cellulose method of marbling (which is often done using acrylic colors).

      Jake

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@...> wrote:

      > Hello:
      > I've been experimenting with using pigment dyes
      > (from Dharma Trading)for marbling on fabric. The literature says to
      > dilute these pigments 2-4 times and add a bit of disperant
      > (I actually prefer a synthapol/water disperant to the recommended
      > versatex. It works better)for marbling. While I absolutely love the
      > richness of color these pigment dyes produce, I haven't quite figured
      > out the right water-to-dye mixture. The colors often tend to separate
      > on the size. Does anyone in our marbling world use pigment dyes and if
      > so, do you have the secret formula you'd like to share?
      > Hopefully,
      > Paulette

    • pauliquann
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <jemiljan@...> wrote:

        > Pauli, Pigments and dyes tend to be two entirely different chemical
        or
        > mineral compounds. The difference is that a dye is soluble whereas a
        > pigment is insoluble in water or other solvents.
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigment
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyes
        >
        > Do you have any more information on the specific product you are
        > using? Many marblers use pigment colors, but for more
        > traditional/historic techniques rather than the contemporary methyl
        > cellulose method of marbling (which is often done using acrylic
        colors).

        > Jake
        >

        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello:
        > > I've been experimenting with using pigment dyes
        > > (from Dharma Trading)for marbling on fabric. The literature says
        > > dilute these pigments 2-4 times and add a bit of disperant
        > > (I actually prefer a synthapol/water disperant to the recommended
        > > versatex. It works better)for marbling. While I absolutely love
        the
        > > richness of color these pigment dyes produce, I haven't quite
        figured
        > > out the right water-to-dye mixture. The colors often tend to
        separate
        > > on the size. Does anyone in our marbling world use pigment dyes
        and if
        > > so, do you have the secret formula you'd like to share?
        > > Hopefully,
        > > Paulette

        Hi Jake and anyone else with info...
        I'm experimenting with Dharma Trading's Pigment dyes.
        The colors are brighter than the Golden Fluid Acrylics
        I normally use and I like this alot. I've noticed some incredible
        fabric marblers on you-tube that use oil-based pigments which also
        produce incredibly bright, intense colors (on fabric). This is all
        I'm trying to achieve. Just can't seem to get the proper solution.
        Thanks Again,
        Paulette

      • enidadams
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2007
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@...> wrote:
          pigment dyes...produce incredibly bright, intense colors (on fabric).
          This is all I'm trying to achieve. Just can't seem to get the proper
          solution.

          Thanks Again,
          Paulette

          Paulette, Jake's right about the difference of pigments and dyes.
          Dharma should be ashamed of themselves for using that misnomer, but
          some suppliers use such a name to infer that the pigments appear more
          like dyes on the fabric. To achieve the deepest colors, use the very
          least amount of dispersing agent you can to have the colors still
          float. Often no additional synthrapol or dispersing agent is needed,
          but just distilled water for diluting, and again, as little as
          possible. Building up density on the tray will also make the colors
          brighter and stronger. Even if they originally spread out, they will
          compress as you add more color. Another way to end up with vibrant
          colors is to marble on colored paper or cloth.

          Good luck!
          Enid