Re: alum, alum, and more alum.

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 14, 2007
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@...> wrote:
      Now if I could find Methocel
      > from a local (or even close-by) Mexican source, I'd be in marblers'
      > heaven! I will read the articles now. Thanks again.

      Paulette, Dow Chemical has a branch in Mexico. You might see if they
      would sell you a bag of methyl cell, or there is a chemical
      distributor that they might recommend if they only sell large
      quantities wholesale- but be prepared to obtain 100 lbs...

      The type you want is the "J" grade, which is cold water dispersible,
      so see if you can get Dow Methocel J75MS. If you can't get that
      grade, you might see if you can get E4M or F4M. You have to prepare
      it differently, as it is dispersed in hot rather than cold water.

      Dow Química Mexicana, S.A. de C.V.
      Blvd. Manuel Ávila Camacho No. 32 piso 6
      Col. Lomas de Chapultepec.
      Delegación Miguel Hidalgo

      11000 México D.F.
      Tel. +52 55 5201 4700
      Fax +52 55 5201 4723

      Jake Benson
    • pauliquann
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 17, 2007
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Jake Benson" <jemiljan@...> wrote:

        > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "pauliquann" <pauliquann@> wrote:
        > Now if I could find Methocel
        > > from a local (or even close-by) Mexican source, I'd be in
        marblers'
        > > heaven! I will read the articles now. Thanks again.
        >
        > Paulette, Dow Chemical has a branch in Mexico. You might see if
        they
        > would sell you a bag of methyl cell, or there is a chemical
        > distributor that they might recommend if they only sell large
        > quantities wholesale- but be prepared to obtain 100 lbs...
        >
        > The type you want is the "J" grade, which is cold water dispersible,
        > so see if you can get Dow Methocel J75MS. If you can't get that
        > grade, you might see if you can get E4M or F4M. You have to prepare
        > it differently, as it is dispersed in hot rather than cold water.

        Jake...Thanks you for this information! You are so incredibly
        knowledgeable about these things. I'm addicted to marbling. Can't
        seem to stop even when I want to! Have you lived in Mexico?
        I will try to contact the research the infolet

        > Dow Química Mexicana, S.A. de C.V.
        > Blvd. Manuel Ávila Camacho No. 32 piso 6
        > Col. Lomas de Chapultepec.
        > Delegación Miguel Hidalgo
        >
        > 11000 México D.F.
        > Tel. +52 55 5201 4700
        > Fax +52 55 5201 4723
        >
        > Jake Benson

        Jake...Thanks you for this information! You are so incredibly
        knowledgeable about these things. I'm addicted to marbling. Can't
        seem to stop even when I want to! So I will try and investigate the
        company address you've listed. Have you lived in Mexico before?
        Paulette