Re: Tips for a beginner in Ebru Marbling

  • julieann.stella
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
      That's an interesting kit! I've never seen it even though I buy supplies from Dharma quite
      often.

      It sounds like you're doing all the right things, it takes a lot of trial and error to get
      familiar with your paints and other materials. After working with them for awhile, you will
      get a feel for what the paints need in order to spread the way you want them to.

      One thing I could recommend is to keep a small dish of your prepared methocel separate
      from the tank. That way, you can test the paints before sprinkling them on your tank and
      you won't spoil your size. If the paints sink in your sample dish, you can add water and
      dispersant to get a more floatable mix.

      Good luck and have fun!
      ~Stella

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Ibraheem Shakfeh <rahmatullah38@...> wrote:

      > This was probably all covered but I could not find it in the message history.
      >
      > Anyway, I got interested in marbling (namely Ebru) and I bought this mini marbling kit
      and this dispersant. I can't find someone that gives lessons in my area so I plan on
      following the guide that comes with the kit and use a few drops of dispersant with the
      paint. I make the size and sprinkle the paint in it and stir it vertically, right?
      > I'm not doing anything as advanced as cicekli. I'm just sticking with the basic battals.
      >
      > Any tips?
      >
      > -Ibraheem Shakfeh

    • momo
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
        Günaydın Ibrahim,

        There is a beginner book "Marbling Paper and Fabric by Carol Taylor"
        that will show you all the steps for the making traditional patterns.
        It was published by Altamont Press in the early 1990s. If you cannot
        find it, Gallen Berry has a little manual of how to that is easy to
        follow: members.aol.com/_ht_a/marbling/MarblingSupplies.htm

        For Turkish Ebru you still need to know the basic patterns. If you
        speak Turkish, I can send you a website address for a store in
        Istanbul with the tools and pigments and possibly some instruction.
        But, the pigments are expensive, so you may want to learn with
        acrylics or watercolors, before moving on to pigments.

        I realize you are a bit away from Miami, but there are a couple of
        Ebru artists in the Miami area, you may be able to find them by
        googling Ebru Miami.

        The little kit you got is good, I am not far from Dharma so I go visit
        from time to time; however I get supplies from Magnolia and paints
        from art stores when they are on sale. Before using dispersant try
        making a small solution of the paints in distilled water to a
        consistency between milk and thicker than half & half but not as thick
        as cream, then see how that works you might be pleasantly surprised. I
        do not know about methocel so I cannot tell you about that; however
        assuming it is kind of like carraghenan I would say to follow the tips
        on thickness of the solution.

        In the summer of 2008, I will be apprenticing with a certified master
        in Turkey, I promise to share my notes with this group.

        I learned marbling in the late 50s and early 60s in a third world
        country using oil paints on homemade size made with cow bone marrow
        and making our own gall (smelliest thing I ever did). Learning today
        is a lot easier.

        This group will help you if you ask there are some extraordinary and
        generous members always sharing. Just keep asking. Güle güle