Re: [Marbling] Tips for a beginner in Ebru Marbling

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
      What is your area? What is the paint, the dispersant, the size?
      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 6, 2007
        I'm in Tampa Florida. The paint is water color I think. I got it from this site.
        http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3245-AA.shtml?lnav=paints.html

        The size is methocel.
        The dispersant is versatex.

        I tried it out already and the outcome was pretty decent though much of the paint did sink and I could not really control it to make an effective pattern.

        I think I didn't water down the paint enough.

        -Ibraheem Shakfeh

        What is your area? What is the paint, the dispersant, the size?

        Iris Nevins

        www.marblingpaper. com

        This was probably all covered but I could not find it in the message history.

        Anyway, I got interested in marbling (namely Ebru) and I bought this mini marbling kit and this dispersant. I can't find someone that gives lessons in my area so I plan on following the guide that comes with the kit and use a few drops of dispersant with the paint. I make the size and sprinkle the paint in it and stir it vertically, right?

        I'm not doing anything as advanced as cicekli. I'm just sticking with the basic battals.

        Any tips?

        -Ibraheem Shakfeh

        http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ webhosting<http://smallbusines s.yahoo.com/ webhosting>

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;
        }
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;
        clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        padding:5px 0;
        }
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        }
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2007
          It often does help to water the paint down. I can't advise on these materials, never have used them.

          www.marblingpaper<http://www.marblingpaper/>. com

          This was probably all covered but I could not find it in the message history.

          Anyway, I got interested in marbling (namely Ebru) and I bought this mini marbling kit and this dispersant. I can't find someone that gives lessons in my area so I plan on following the guide that comes with the kit and use a few drops of dispersant with the paint. I make the size and sprinkle the paint in it and stir it vertically, right?

          I'm not doing anything as advanced as cicekli. I'm just sticking with the basic battals.

          Any tips?

          -Ibraheem Shakfeh

          http://smallbusines<http://smallbusines/> s.yahoo.com/ webhosting<http://smallbusines<http://smallbusines/> s.yahoo.com/ webhosting>

          <!--

[...]

        • julieann.stella
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2007
            That's an interesting kit! I've never seen it even though I buy supplies from Dharma quite
            often.

            It sounds like you're doing all the right things, it takes a lot of trial and error to get
            familiar with your paints and other materials. After working with them for awhile, you will
            get a feel for what the paints need in order to spread the way you want them to.

            One thing I could recommend is to keep a small dish of your prepared methocel separate
            from the tank. That way, you can test the paints before sprinkling them on your tank and
            you won't spoil your size. If the paints sink in your sample dish, you can add water and
            dispersant to get a more floatable mix.

            Good luck and have fun!
            ~Stella

            --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Ibraheem Shakfeh <rahmatullah38@...> wrote:

            > This was probably all covered but I could not find it in the message history.
            >
            > Anyway, I got interested in marbling (namely Ebru) and I bought this mini marbling kit
            and this dispersant. I can't find someone that gives lessons in my area so I plan on
            following the guide that comes with the kit and use a few drops of dispersant with the
            paint. I make the size and sprinkle the paint in it and stir it vertically, right?
            > I'm not doing anything as advanced as cicekli. I'm just sticking with the basic battals.
            >
            > Any tips?
            >
            > -Ibraheem Shakfeh

          • momo
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 9, 2007
              Günaydın Ibrahim,

              There is a beginner book "Marbling Paper and Fabric by Carol Taylor"
              that will show you all the steps for the making traditional patterns.
              It was published by Altamont Press in the early 1990s. If you cannot
              find it, Gallen Berry has a little manual of how to that is easy to
              follow: members.aol.com/_ht_a/marbling/MarblingSupplies.htm

              For Turkish Ebru you still need to know the basic patterns. If you
              speak Turkish, I can send you a website address for a store in
              Istanbul with the tools and pigments and possibly some instruction.
              But, the pigments are expensive, so you may want to learn with
              acrylics or watercolors, before moving on to pigments.

              I realize you are a bit away from Miami, but there are a couple of
              Ebru artists in the Miami area, you may be able to find them by
              googling Ebru Miami.

              The little kit you got is good, I am not far from Dharma so I go visit
              from time to time; however I get supplies from Magnolia and paints
              from art stores when they are on sale. Before using dispersant try
              making a small solution of the paints in distilled water to a
              consistency between milk and thicker than half & half but not as thick
              as cream, then see how that works you might be pleasantly surprised. I
              do not know about methocel so I cannot tell you about that; however
              assuming it is kind of like carraghenan I would say to follow the tips
              on thickness of the solution.

              In the summer of 2008, I will be apprenticing with a certified master
              in Turkey, I promise to share my notes with this group.

              I learned marbling in the late 50s and early 60s in a third world
              country using oil paints on homemade size made with cow bone marrow
              and making our own gall (smelliest thing I ever did). Learning today
              is a lot easier.

              This group will help you if you ask there are some extraordinary and
              generous members always sharing. Just keep asking. Güle güle