Re: Spanish Marbling

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi Antonio, Thanks so much for posting these images; they are really
      wonderful.

      Can you tell us how was the binding by Antonio de Sancha was
      identified? Was it by the finishing tools used in gilding designs? Or
      perhaps a ticket or stamp of some sort? We may very well have more
      examples of this binder's work in US library collections with large
      Spanish collections. It would be good to know how to identify his work.

      Also, when you have a few moments, could you please add the
      bibliographic information for each of these books in the images you
      posted? You can add click on "edit" button and then add this
      information to the "description" box. This additional information
      will be of great help in identification of similar works.

      Thanks!!

      Jake Benson
    • AVC
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello Jake and Iris:

        I've included the descriptions of the volumes in the album following your instructions.

        Antonio de Sancha was the most famous publisher, printer, bookseller and bookbinder of the XVIII century in Spain. (But not the best, this is a privilige of Ibarra). His work was even continued by one of his sons, Gabriel de Sancha, till the firsts years of the XIX century.

        He has the more known book establisment in Madrid. Fall down by now, unfortunately. He binded his owns books as well as that of others publishers. I am searching in the municipal archives to see if I can find a word about someone "marbling", activity that was done there, for sure. He was also a Royal Bookbinder, I will try as well in the Royal Library, I think there are some of the finest bindings by Gabriel signed, but not any of the father.

        Antonio de Sancha bindings are identified by the finishing tools. It exist a catalog of his "irons": Pedro Vindel, Antonio de Sancha, bookbinder, Madrid, 1935, Vindel. But, really, this is quite a current binding of him, I have some with this same appereance, what is unusual is the marbling edges, one of the others two examples that I have is another item of this same book, with this same papers and edges and with the binding partially destroyed, but identified. Probably a serie of this book was binded equally with this sort of marbled edges.

        If you have interest I can try to scan the "irons" of the catalog, I don't know if this is the subject for this group, but I am happy if I can help.

        I have some historical texts in Spanish, the former of 1763, and I want to remember that one describes how to make the edges with the waved effect, similar to the papers. But I have to confirm it. Also I want to try the differents teories and to determine how was the waved effect reached. The thin papers used is something that I think that work very well, what I hate to hear is the story of the drinked man, you know, it's so easy to make a wave, a telephone ring is enough, it is not necessary to be drunked. Of course the Moire effect is a miracle.

        Regards, Antonio

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          Thanks....

          About marbled edges, I wonder how smooth a wave they got if any. I would think it would be a little harsh rather than looking air brushed. Still I am happy to see any. I think somewhere I have a piece of early Spanish from Spain, maybe 1780 if I am not mistaken. I have to hunt for it. If I find it I will send you a picture.

          As far as the man with the hangover, just a legend most likely.