Re: [Marbling] Needs marbler

  • Sally Jackson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
      As it happens, I know the details of this project. My husband did the
      first two volumes, the last one some 10 years ago. We retired two
      years ago, and he really doesn't want to undertake the rest of the
      project.. The paper is Finch Vanilla.

      Sally

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2007
        Thanks Sally... I saw his work and it was very nice! Thanks for the paper info, however it doesn't mean that the current formula for Finch Vanilla is the same. The paper industry is shovelling up to 50% calcium carbonate into many papers papers these day because it is cheaper than wood pulp. It renders the papers fairly useless, with color running off. Even if you get some to stay on, the corners tear off when you hang to dry because the fibers are shorter. So I will still recommend that someone wanting to do this get a current sample before ruining a book. I spoke to them about this project and didn't want to take it on. I have done editions on edges and endpapers and doing the edges stresses me out too much honestly. It's much trickier and you get a higher percent of bad spots due to the inflexibility of the book block.

        What is your husband's name? Did he clamp several books together to dip the edges?

        As it happens, I know the details of this project. My husband did the
        first two volumes, the last one some 10 years ago. We retired two
        years ago, and he really doesn't want to undertake the rest of the
        project.. The paper is Finch Vanilla.

        Sally

        On Sep 5, 2007, at 12:45 PM, irisnevins wrote:

        > Keep in mind some questions to ask. If anyone takes this on, do get
        > a piece of the paper used for the pages of the book to see it it
        > marbles. As many of you have found out most domestic papers,
        > especially ones labeled acid free, no longer hold the paints no
        > matter how much alum is used. So do a test first. It would be a
        > shame to try it on the book edges only to find most of it runs off.
        >
        > Iris Nevins
        > www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>>

      • Lucie Lapierre
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2007
          Laura and Dave

          Did you find some one to do your project?
          I did marbling on edge few time for bookbinder for Nicole Billard
          and her students. It a carefuly process to have a good result.
          Maybe I can process your paper to to work with.
          There is an experience to do before to see it can work.
          As Iris wrote the fiber of the paper is not the best.
          But with a process of the paper it can work.

          I live in Quebec it not to far.

          You can email me to more info.

          Lucie Lapierre

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Allen"