Kraft Paper

  • Dolores Guffey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2007
      Iris,

      One source of Kraft paper is to go to a framing store and ask to purchase a few feet off of their roll. They usually have good quality Kraft paper as they use it to back picture frames as well as wrap finished work. This would be a good way to experiment with the Kraft paper without a big investment. I even found one roll that was acid free, when I tested it with a pH pen.

      In 1984 I had the privilege of visiting Sydney Cockerell in his studio outside of Cambridge, England. I purchased a sample booklet of his patterns, and at least half of them were on Kraft paper. I also purchased a set of his marbling inks (water based) and I still have them (along with his hand-written receipt). One reason I love to marble on Kraft paper is because of the neutral colors I enjoy marbling with: blacks, browns, sienna, rust, all seem to "pop" when marbled on the brown background of the Kraft paper. Mr. Cockerell passed away in 1987 (age 81). The Cockerell bindery, contents, and all remaining papers were sold at auction in 1990. I often wonder who purchased it.

      Although all of the papers were "handmade" by his assistants, they did have a little mechanical help. I watched as one of them applied the color all at once with a rake-like instrument which was dipped in a trough, and then barely touched to the surface of the size putting down perfect circles of color. That was repeated again with a different color, placing the dots of new color on top of the previous color. After 3 or 4 colors were applied a rake was drawn across the tank on a rail, so all the lines were perfectly straight. The rail had two slots so when the rake returned it off-set the first draw. I can't recall all of the other steps, but I think at this point the marbler performed all the other passes/combing free-hand, depending on the pattern he was making.

      I remember asking Mr. Cockerell where I could purchase rakes and combs like the ones in his studio (I was still new to marbling, my ignorance apparent) and he replied "my dear, marblers make their own, there are no commercial ones." And to this day, I make all of my rakes and combs!

      Dolores Guffey