Photography for marbling

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 14, 2001
      Has anyone here photographed their pieces? I am about to do that--put it
      on slide film for portfolio. Anyone have good tips on how to go about this?
      Jill
    • sidestreet@americanisp.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 18, 2001
        >I am about to do that--put it
        > on slide film for portfolio. Anyone have good tips on how to go
        about this?

        Hi Jill,

        Photographing your work is a good way to archive it. The most
        permanent slide film is still probably Kodachrome, which takes special
        processing.

        I suggest that you shoot outdoors. If you shoot indoors, you'll either
        need tungsten film and special photoflood bulbs or filters, which can
        distort color a little. Tungsten film is available from Kodak, Fuji,
        and others, but takes standard E-6 processing, and so is not as
        permanent.

        If you are shooting outdoors and don't want to use Kodachrome, I'd
        suggest either Kodak Elite or Fujichrome (both grocery-store film).
        Each will give you slightly different color rendition. If you want to
        try a professional film, both Fuji Provia and Velvia give beautiful,
        rich colors. I don't know if you are trying to record your colors or
        patterns or both.

        Try to shoot on a bright, cloudy day around mid-day. Tack or tape your
        paper to a board. You should be able to hand-hold the camera if you
        are shooting outdoors and get good results. Don't shoot in deep shade
        or in the evening -- your pictures will turn blue.

        Consider bracketing your shots. That is, shoot one at the recommended
        exposure, then one at one stop (or shutter speed) on either side of
        that. Professionals will shoot two pictures at half-stop intervals on
        either side. This increases your chances of good exposures.

        Once you have the slides back, store them in a dark, cool place and
        they'll last for decades.

        Good
      • J Dolphin
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 19, 2001
          > >I am about to do that--put it
          > > on slide film for portfolio. Anyone have good tips on how to go
          > about this?
          >
          > Hi Jill,
          >
          > Photographing your work is a good way to archive it. The most

          Thanks! I ended up using Kodak--the shots are decent-and I am glad I did
          this!
          Jill