Re: Glazed papers

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
      Lokman,

      For marbling, straight beeswax was never added to marbling pints in
      Europe and the US. It was prepared first by melting it together with
      pure soap, which is them known as "saponified wax". Instructions are
      found in several manuals, such as those by Woolnough, Halfer, and
      Kinder. A small amount of powdered saponified wax was then added to
      the paints. I think this can be observed in early 19th marbled sheets
      where the color appears to be a very heavy paint layer. when held up
      to the light, the color appears to be very shiny, but the surrounding
      paper is quite dull.

      Jake Benson

      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, Lokman Torun <lokmantorun@...> wrote:

      > Hi Susanne,
      > How do you incorporate beeswax into the paints? Do you mean that it
      is added to the paints before marbling? One is highly hydrophobic
      while the others are water soluble materials? Or do you mean coating
      marbled papers with beeswax?
      > Thanks?
      > Lokman

      Australia's pet material) .
      > Brush with methylcellulose 1000, 4% (doesn't work on all papers and
      with all paints). Spray
      > with shiny film (ugh). Use a glass runner (not advisable in
      Australian summer, and takes