Re: [Marbling] Re: Glazed papers

    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 13 5:13 AM
      They did used to grind it into the paint formula. I never tried it. If I want a glaze I run a bar of paraffin (from the supermarket canning aisle, or with the jellies) lightly over the paper, then burnish it. The wax is not to coat the paper as much as to let the burnisher glide. I can get a great shine, though not as shiny as the machine glazed/polished Victorian papers. I like the hand rubbed one better personally. I use a small hand held agate with a 1/8" or a little larger edge, and the edge is about 1 1/2" It is hard work but it shines fast. I wouldn't do the whole paper, but rather the smaller cut pieces you will be using. It can hurt your arm or hands after a while!

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 13 10:21 AM
        Lokman,

        For marbling, straight beeswax was never added to marbling pints in
        Europe and the US. It was prepared first by melting it together with
        pure soap, which is them known as "saponified wax". Instructions are
        found in several manuals, such as those by Woolnough, Halfer, and
        Kinder. A small amount of powdered saponified wax was then added to
        the paints. I think this can be observed in early 19th marbled sheets
        where the color appears to be a very heavy paint layer. when held up
        to the light, the color appears to be very shiny, but the surrounding
        paper is quite dull.

        Jake Benson