Warming Carageenan Size

  • pauliquann
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2007
      Hello:
      Does anyone know how I'm suppose to warm up my size? My colors expand
      and then immediately contract and also my end product has these white
      jagged spots throughout. I can see these little voids on the size where
      it seems the paints have broken up. Both these problems can be the
      result of the size being too cold...so the troubleshooting sections of
      the books say. They instruct to warm the size but how?
      I need help! I'm trying to make scarves for an upcoming show and
      nothing is working out. How to I warm the size (carageenan)without
      compromising its thickness?
      Thank you, anyone , for your helpp!

      Paulette
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 12, 2007
        It could be that your size is too thick? How are you making it? What are you using for paint, it could be the paints too. You may need more dispersants. If you are using acrylic if you do not clean the size extra well, maybe double clean it, every few times (more than with watercolor) it will give jagged spots and not allow maximum spreading. It could be the brand of paint you are using too. Not all acrylic or watercolor is the same formula from one brand to another. So try another make. Your paints too, they may be too thick. Thck paint doesn't always mean brighter color, sometimes quite the contrary. Water some down a little and add a little more dispersant, make sure you are making the size right, clean the size really well, see what happens.

        Iris Nevins
        www,marblingpaper.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2007
          Thank you so much for your input. I will try each thing you suggest
          and let you the results. I have clean my size (it was fairly new...I
          only used it twice without success) and will now try differnt paints.
          I've been using jacquard marlbing colors. I used to work with dye-na-
          flow paints which have always worked beautifully especially on silk.
          But now they're not working...the reason I swithced to jacquard
          marbling colore. I've also had a new marbling tray built (out of wood
          and thought this might be the problem so cover it with plasict to no
          avail).
          Thanks again. I'll let you know,

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2007
            Plastic is always better than wood in my opinion. Maybe some of the acrylic marblers here can advise on the paints out there and how they diulte them or use them etc. I have had lovely results from the cheap stuff at Walmart called Ceram-Coat. Not all colors work well, you have to try a basic few i would think. it's been so long I forgot which I used to use. I didn't dilute them, though they seem creamy.