Sprinkled paper/German, French?

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hej Søren,

      det er ikke Gustavmarmor, Gustavmarmor er den med spætternes rænder i kontrastfarver–
      or in English: that's not Gustavmarmor, Gustavmarmor is the kind where the sprinkles have
      edges in constrasting colour. The English term for Gustavmarmor is cocoa marbled paper.
      It is not marbled, though, it is made on the workbench like all sprinkled papers.

      The German term used most frequently for the kind of sprinkled paper we are currently
      talking about is 'Achatmarmor', but I do not know the Danish or even English equivalent.
      Can look it up one of these days.

      Nick:
      For real animal glue, go look at the place where restorers buy their materials. They are lost
      without glue. But take care! There are two kinds of animal glue, made either from bones or
      else from skin. The bones kind hardens much harder and is used predominantly by
      furniture restorers, the skin kind (especially the one made from hare's skin and feet, and
      especially if prepared freshly) is finer and not as hard as stones and that's the kind good
      bookbinders have used in books for centuries. Restorers roll their eyes when they have to
      cope with bone glue in a book, it's always additional work and guaranteed to involve more
      loss than skin glue.

      Susanne Krause
    • Søren Ibsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2007
        Hej Susanne,

        Du har helt ret! Det er ikke Gustavmarmor, men agatmarmor?

        Thanks, you are right. It is not Gustavmarmor, but "Agatmarmor"? It is
        also a thin and shiny paper, and treated in the same way as "Gustavmarmor".

        The animal glue we used was in plasticpackages to keep the glue soft and
        avoid the glue to harden. Use it fresh in waterbath or gluepot. The
        temperature must not goes over 60 degree Celsius.

        Kind regards

        Søren Ibsen

        --On 1. august 2007 07:36 +0000 hamburgerbuntpapier_de