Re: [Marbling] craft

  • carylhanc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 21, 2007
      Hi, All,
      I am really appreciating every word of this discussion - thank you! I
      thought it was just me!

      About 3 years ago, I was invited to show my marbled papers. I worked really
      hard, and had 33 papers I was very proud of matted and framed ($XXXX), and I
      thought they would fly off the Art Center walls; not so! I figured that
      perhaps it was because they were "out of context" and not inside the covers of
      books. People just did not know (few read books these days, I guess).

      In subsequent showings, I have had framers (small town Indiana) get really
      bent out of shape over a particular Spanish paper, asking how I could get away
      with putting a folded piece of fabric under glass! Always makes me smile!

      Some of my framed papers are now going to the Indiana State Fair in the
      Professional Fine Art category, in the "Experimental" section. Stay tuned!

      Whenever I demonstrate, I always have a bunch of people gathered around
      watching, or kids as young as 4 lined up, waiting patiently (!) to "Make a paper,
      please, Lady." Classes, again, central Indiana rarely fill.

      There does not seem to be as great an issue with my marbled fabrics -
      scarves, pieced jackets, etc. Interesting, perhaps because "surface design" is more
      of a buzz word than "Marbling."

      Thanks again for the discussion! I will remember "aqueous monoprint!"
      (Thanks, Diane, for your books and comment!)

      On another note, I thought I read somewhere that Robin Heyeck had a new book
      on marbling out. Do any list members have definitive information?

      Best wishes,
      Caryl Hancock, Indianapolis