[Marbling] Spots

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
      Those look like air bubbles that are popping when the paper touches down.
      Why they appear so consistently in the same area on numerous sheets is a
      question......maybe you touch the paper down too fast initially?

      IrisNevins
    • Jan Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000

        >I'm using water colors on caragheen with properly alumed paper. I
        >consistently get a row of dark spots along the line of the paper's
        >first contact with the size. I hold diagonally opposite corners of the
        >paper and place the middle in first, then lay down the sides. Except
        >for these spots, everything else goes as normal.

        Hi! I didn't look at your website but I am familiar with the little line
        of darker paint spots that you describe! I can't remember now exactly what
        I finally decided I was doing not right. But I do remember that the
        problem showed up quite consistently with some kinds of paper and not so
        much with others.

        I was trying various papers made for people doing prints (figuring that
        those papers did not contain the same amount of size that is in the
        watercolor paper, which resists taking up the alum and paint). I got a
        selection from the local art store:
        - Canson Mi-Teintes (80 lb)
        - Lenox (140lb)
        - Stonehenge White (140 lb)

        The Stonehenge paper took color really nicely BUT was really prone to these
        dots. The Canson was only moderate with the dots but I didn't find the
        color was as vivid, especially on the textured side of the paper. The
        Lenox was a good compromise. I see in my notes that I called them
        "concentration dots". I wonder if the paint was somewhat thicker than it
        needed to be so that it blobbed where it first grabbed on?

        Even if it turns out to be an issue of how you lay down the paper, some
        papers are definitely more fussy about this than others. (And try varying
        the sharpness of the angle where the paper first touches the surface?)

        Good luck!!
        Jan Walker
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 22, 2000
          Looking over the weights of the paper.....The Canson was the least trouble
          I'll bet because it was lightest weight. Try something a bit lighter and
          more flexible like a 70LB text weight. Local print shops may have some
          excess Classic Laid or Classic Linen in these weights they may sell or give
          you, they marble very well. Not available in art stores.

          In Art stores the Strathmore charcoal papers tend to do well. Usually about
          70lb, though not sure. They are nice and light though. You don't want to go
          too lightweight or they may buckle or even tear when wet.

          INevins