Re: [Marbling] Visit to Spain

  • rondelay@onthenet.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2000
      Whilst not specifically related to bookbinding/marbling, the Calouste
      Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon is well worth a visit.
      From their brochure - "The Arts of the Book are represented in the Museum
      by some important illuminated manuscripts, most of which came from famous
      collections and are attributed to notable illuminators. Calouste
      Gulbenkian formed a splendid library, and the visitor is shown various
      examples which include not only the illuminated manuscripts but also
      printed books, mainly of French origin, of the 16th to the 20th centuries."

      Can't help with opening times for the Museum.

      Within the University of Coimbra, (Portugal) there is an amazing 18th
      century library which is still in use. Can't advise about access, as I saw
      it as part of an organised tour.

      Vi Wilson