Visit to Spain

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 14, 2000
      A friend of mine will be visiting Spain and Portugal in December and
      January. She is a bookbinder, and is looking for tips about places to
      visit, collections etc. She has enquired among bookbinders, and hasn't
      yielded anything, so I now turn to all of you to ask if you may know of
      anyone/anything/anyplace, that could be recommended...

      Kind Regards,

      Jake Benson

      BENSONĀ¹S HAND BINDERY
      Fine Custom Bookbinding & Conservation
      Hand Marbled Papers

      Jake Benson, Proprietor
      1319B Summerville Avenue
      Columbia, South Carolina, 29201
      803.799.1853
      jemiljan@...
    • rondelay@onthenet.com.au
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 15, 2000
        Whilst not specifically related to bookbinding/marbling, the Calouste
        Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon is well worth a visit.
        From their brochure - "The Arts of the Book are represented in the Museum
        by some important illuminated manuscripts, most of which came from famous
        collections and are attributed to notable illuminators. Calouste
        Gulbenkian formed a splendid library, and the visitor is shown various
        examples which include not only the illuminated manuscripts but also
        printed books, mainly of French origin, of the 16th to the 20th centuries."

        Can't help with opening times for the Museum.

        Within the University of Coimbra, (Portugal) there is an amazing 18th
        century library which is still in use. Can't advise about access, as I saw
        it as part of an organised tour.

        Vi Wilson