Turkish Book arts Symposium

  • oguzhan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2007
      To my limited knowledge ,a symposium of this kind is a first for some long time;
      organized by the Istanbul Municipality -ISMEK Organization.

      Prof.Ugur Derman presented a paper on the course of Turkish Book arts from past to present.
      He has authored a book on Turkish Ebru and a documentary film with Mustafa Duzgunman to his credit.
      Also an esteemed expert of Turkish Marbling and calligraphical arts.Permanent jury member at www.ircica.org

      Esteemed friend and research fellow from MIT Boston,Mr.Irvin Cemil Schick presented a paper
      From the past into the future Turkish calligraphical arts;
      a real connaisseur of this field and all the attendees were enlightened by his valuable views.
      (The municipality will publish the presentations,I hope he may come up with English version for those concerned)

      Istanbul State Turkish Music Group Ney (reed flute) musician Mr.Muhammed Sadreddin Ozcimi,
      presented a paper on Ebru art :past to present.

      There were other presentations on illumination,miniature painting and book binding.

      In the final closing panel among esteemed academic scholars there was Mr.Alpaslan Babaoglu,
      who has a diploma on marbling from late master Mustafa Duzgunman,
      he also expressed his views on traditional Turkish marbling arts.

      At the end of the symposium ,being a promoter of Central Asian and Turkish papermaking,
      I asked the organizers whether they will support our efforts to revive Turkish papermaking

      bureaucrats do not grasp the importance of 2000 year old traditon of Turkish Paper making,

      they said there was no demand !!!!

      as if book arts could exist without paper....

      cordially,
      Oz

      ps.we will continue our pursuit thanks to Tom Leech,Alexandra Soteriou