Re: Deaf marbling artists in Hyderabad

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2007
      Hi Iris,

      I remember you mentioning this to me, but don't think I've ever
      discussed this with Alex. If you find out anything more, do let us
      know.

      Incidentally, I've found another marbling artist by the name of
      Shivkumar Pundkar. He claims to have developed an original method of
      blowing on a brush loaded with color, according to this blog on
      Contemporary Indian art:

      <http://thisishowitshouldbe.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html>

      "Shivkumar Pundkar, a doctor from Dhule, M.P., claims to have invented
      a new technique, since his method is one of blowing into the brush
      loaded with water colour pigments. His exhibition of "doc art water
      surface painting" (KCP, Nov 24 to 30) indeed evoked plenty of watery
      sensations, which happened nevertheless quite on the 'surface' level.
      The smallish abstractions rely on intended and chance effects created
      by colours bleeding and marbling or forming vein-like patterns."

      You can see some of Mr. Pundkar's work here on Yessy:

      http://www.yessy.com/docart_shiv/gallery.html

      Jake

      > Jake...this is great. I will report this to GBW next time and maybe
      it will help them out a bit.

      > Do you remember a number of years back Alexandra Soteriou had come
      across a village made up of orphans who supported themselves by
      marbling? If you remember the details it would be appreciated. I can
      ask her too, not sure if she is on the list.