Re: [Marbling] Deaf marbling artists in Hyderabad

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 18, 2007
      Jake...this is great. I will report this to GBW next time and maybe it will help them out a bit.

      Do you remember a number of years back Alexandra Soteriou had come across a village made up of orphans who supported themselves by marbling? If you remember the details it would be appreciated. I can ask her too, not sure if she is on the list.

      Iris Nevins
      www.marblingpaper.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 18, 2007
        Hi Iris,

        I remember you mentioning this to me, but don't think I've ever
        discussed this with Alex. If you find out anything more, do let us
        know.

        Incidentally, I've found another marbling artist by the name of
        Shivkumar Pundkar. He claims to have developed an original method of
        blowing on a brush loaded with color, according to this blog on
        Contemporary Indian art:

        <http://thisishowitshouldbe.blogspot.com/2005_12_01_archive.html>

        "Shivkumar Pundkar, a doctor from Dhule, M.P., claims to have invented
        a new technique, since his method is one of blowing into the brush
        loaded with water colour pigments. His exhibition of "doc art water
        surface painting" (KCP, Nov 24 to 30) indeed evoked plenty of watery
        sensations, which happened nevertheless quite on the 'surface' level.
        The smallish abstractions rely on intended and chance effects created
        by colours bleeding and marbling or forming vein-like patterns."

        You can see some of Mr. Pundkar's work here on Yessy:

        http://www.yessy.com/docart_shiv/gallery.html

        Jake