Glazed papers

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
      Hello fellow marblers and other paper decorators. Does anyone know how
      to glaze marbled papers? I don't have a huge agate glazing block
      dangling from my ceiling right now, and would like to know of a
      simpler solution, something really easy that can be brushed or sprayed
      onto the paper. I use Renaissance Microcrystalline wax if the papers
      need to be sealed with wax, but sometimes I need a shinier finish.

      By the way, does anyone know where Texoprint paper is manufactured, or
      where large sheets can be purchased?

      "So much to learn, so little time" she whines in true Peter Sellers
      style. . . . . . Joan
    • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
        Hi Joan,

        try incorporating beeswax in the paints, give the sheets a friendly but determined
        buffering when they are dry and out of the press. Your determination is decisive for the
        sheen. If the users need the paper extra-shiny, tell them to wax them again with very little
        additional wax, strong pressure and high speed when they are already on the object. It is
        not a good idea to have much wax on the surface before working with the sheets, the
        sides have a very different 'pull'.
        I deem max. 1% wax is about the amount that's advisable.

        Alternatives: brush with wheat paste (I know, wheat starch is not Australia's pet material) .
        Brush with methylcellulose 1000, 4% (doesn't work on all papers and with all paints). Spray
        with shiny film (ugh). Use a glass runner (not advisable in Australian summer, and takes
        about as long as an agate stone). Strew talcum powder onto the surface and brush with a
        veryveryvery soft brush like the ones lithographers use, or use a soft woolen cloth (Outside
        only! Talcum is not the best friend of respiratory organs).

        What a list of second-best ideas.

        Susanne Krause

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 13, 2007
          For a real mirror finish, but I think it is not waterproof, spread on, as evenly as possible, a methyl cel solution, made up as if to marble, and set a piece of plexiglass over it and press in a press at least 24 hours or until dry. Peel it back, and you are coated. Do it slowly and carefully or some may adhere to the plexiglass and not the paper in spots... it is tricky and smaller pieces, cut to size for the book are better than a huge sheet.

          What I would personally do, is a very light coating from a bar of paraffin, not to coat as much as to allow the burnisher to glide easily. Then run the living daylights out of it and kill your arm in the process and you get a nice shine on most papers. I sell hand held burnishers with a flat edge, agate, about 1 1/2" - 2" edges.

          This is really the bookbinder's job if they wish. If you are doing a lot, you may be sorry! And I would likely charge more for burnishing a sheet than for marbling it. You are talking about serious physical labor. How many do you need to do? I always tell the binder how to do it if they wish. They take that option when they hear the price! It is not rocket science, it just hurts after a while! It is good though esp. for outer papers on the covers, the teeny layer of paraffin seals water color marbling in very well and it can take getting wet by accident. You want the teeniest layer, otherwise it leaves the paper looking a little cloudy. Plain paraffin bars, from the canning aisle in the supermarket. Nothing fancy.

          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "sixshort" <joan@...> wrote:

          > Hello fellow marblers and other paper decorators. Does anyone know how
          > to glaze marbled papers? I don't have a huge agate glazing block
          > dangling from my ceiling right now, and would like to know of a
          > simpler solution, something really easy that can be brushed or sprayed
          > onto the paper. I use Renaissance Microcrystalline wax if the papers
          > need to be sealed with wax, but sometimes I need a shinier finish.
          >
          > By the way, does anyone know where Texoprint paper is manufactured, or
          > where large sheets can be purchased?
          >
          > "So much to learn, so little time" she whines in true Peter Sellers
          > style. . . . . . Joan

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
            Oh dear, I knew there was something wrong with my posting! This one I had forgotten,
            Iris. Sorry, Joan.
            The traditional method is as follows: brush the sheets with technical gelatine mixed with a
            few drops of ox gall and then stick the sheets to glass plates brushed thinly with oil. For
            one sheet, use the window pane. For many sheets, the old marblers had special
            constructions with glass plates standing one behind another in a wooden contraption (I
            wish I had something like this for diagonally dribbled papers – and the space to house it).
            Shiny as a mirror, but even fingers with a summery moisture show, and the rejects are
            many.

            Susanne Krause

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
              Does this dry waterproof?

              They used to of course, "calendar" the papers by machine. They used some sort of soap and glue sizing.

              I find unless you need a mirror finish, the paraffin method to be easiest. It is a nice classy looking sheen that approximates what you'd see prior to the marbling machines and machine glazing. Very tasteful and shiny enough!

              Iris Nevins
              www.marblingpaper.com
              Oh dear, I knew there was something wrong with my posting! This one I had forgotten,
              Iris. Sorry, Joan.
              The traditional method is as follows: brush the sheets with technical gelatine mixed with a
              few drops of ox gall and then stick the sheets to glass plates brushed thinly with oil. For
              one sheet, use the window pane. For many sheets, the old marblers had special
              constructions with glass plates standing one behind another in a wooden contraption (I
              wish I had something like this for diagonally dribbled papers - and the space to house it).
              Shiny as a mirror, but even fingers with a summery moisture show, and the rejects are
              many.

              Susanne Krause

              > For a real mirror finish, but I think it is not waterproof, spread on, as evenly as possible,
              a methyl cel solution, made up as if to marble, and set a piece of plexiglass over it and
              press in a press at least 24 hours or until dry. Peel it back, and you are coated. Do it slowly
              and carefully or some may adhere to the plexiglass and not the paper in spots... it is tricky
              and smaller pieces, cut to size for the book are better than a huge sheet.

              > What I would personally do, is a very light coating from a bar of paraffin, not to coat as
              much as to allow the burnisher to glide easily. Then run the living daylights out of it and
              kill your arm in the process and you get a nice shine on most papers. I sell hand held
              burnishers with a flat edge, agate, about 1 1/2" - 2" edges.

              > This is really the bookbinder's job if they wish. If you are doing a lot, you may be sorry!
              And I would likely charge more for burnishing a sheet than for marbling it. You are talking
              about serious physical labor. How many do you need to do? I always tell the binder how to
              do it if they wish. They take that option when they hear the price! It is not rocket science,
              it just hurts after a while! It is good though esp. for outer papers on the covers, the teeny
              layer of paraffin seals water color marbling in very well and it can take getting wet by
              accident. You want the teeniest layer, otherwise it leaves the paper looking a little cloudy.
              Plain paraffin bars, from the canning aisle in the supermarket. Nothing fancy.

              > Iris Nevins
              > www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>>

            • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                Not at all waterproof!
                Problem is, there simply are a lot of these super shiny papers, and customers tend to ask
                for them. Dissuading them is not always easy. If they insist, I wave menacing estimates
                before their noses. Usually that helps.

                Susanne Krause

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Yes, if someone insisted I tell them it's $30 a sheet or they can buy one of my burnishers for it and a bar of wax and do it themselves! It really hurts after a while.

                  The way to go is to not do the whole sheet, just cut it a little bigger than the size you need. The pieces go faster and more evenly. It it a lovely sheen and is waterproof from the little bit of wax. I love the way it looks.

                  Problem is, there simply are a lot of these super shiny papers, and customers tend to ask
                  for them. Dissuading them is not always easy. If they insist, I wave menacing estimates
                  before their noses. Usually that helps.

                  Susanne Krause

                  > Does this dry waterproof?
                  >
                  > They used to of course, "calendar" the papers by machine. They used some sort of soap
                  and glue sizing.

                  > I find unless you need a mirror finish, the paraffin method to be easiest. It is a nice
                  classy looking sheen that approximates what you'd see prior to the marbling machines
                  and machine glazing. Very tasteful and shiny enough!

                  > Iris Nevins

                • sixshort
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
                    Thanks so much, Iris and Susanne - so much detailed information that
                    you have spent time putting together. It all sounds terribly
                    difficult and time consuming, but I will try some of the ideas just to
                    know what I am about if someone insists on such glazed papers. The
                    paper I am copying at present is one such, and looks marvelous, but
                    fortunately the bookbinder has not asked me to do the glazing as well
                    as the marbling. I still can scarcely believe that a question sent
                    into cyberspace can have such immediate, generous and highly informed
                    replies.

                    Far more satisfying and personal than consulting Wikipedia! Regards,
                    Joan--

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 15, 2007
                      Hey...it is easy to do the burnisher and paraffin. Just physically rough after a few. I use a polished agate slice in effect. I do have them for sale but you can likely get a rock/mineral shop to make something to fit your hand with about a 2" long edge, about 1/8" - 1/4" at most thick. Just rub the living daylights out of it.

                      Iris Nevins
                      www.marblingpaper.com

                      In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...> wrote:

                      > Not at all waterproof!
                      > Problem is, there simply are a lot of these super shiny papers, and
                      customers tend to ask
                      > for them. Dissuading them is not always easy. If they insist, I wave
                      menacing estimates
                      > before their noses. Usually that helps.
                      >
                      > Susanne Krause
                      >
                      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>, "irisnevins" <irisnevins@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Does this dry waterproof?
                      > >
                      > > They used to of course, "calendar" the papers by machine. They
                      used some sort of soap
                      > and glue sizing.
                      > >
                      > > I find unless you need a mirror finish, the paraffin method to be
                      easiest. It is a nice
                      > classy looking sheen that approximates what you'd see prior to the
                      marbling machines
                      > and machine glazing. Very tasteful and shiny enough!
                      > >
                      > > Iris Nevins
                      > > www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>

                    • Lokman Torun
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                        Hi Susanne,
                        How do you incorporate beeswax into the paints? Do you mean that it is added to the paints before marbling? One is highly hydrophobic while the others are water soluble materials? Or do you mean coating marbled papers with beeswax?
                        Thanks?
                        Lokman

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                          They did used to grind it into the paint formula. I never tried it. If I want a glaze I run a bar of paraffin (from the supermarket canning aisle, or with the jellies) lightly over the paper, then burnish it. The wax is not to coat the paper as much as to let the burnisher glide. I can get a great shine, though not as shiny as the machine glazed/polished Victorian papers. I like the hand rubbed one better personally. I use a small hand held agate with a 1/8" or a little larger edge, and the edge is about 1 1/2" It is hard work but it shines fast. I wouldn't do the whole paper, but rather the smaller cut pieces you will be using. It can hurt your arm or hands after a while!

                          Iris Nevins
                          www.marblingpaper.com

                          --- In Marbling@yahoogroup<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroup> s.com, "sixshort" <joan@...> wrote:

                          > Hello fellow marblers and other paper decorators. Does anyone know how
                          > to glaze marbled papers? I don't have a huge agate glazing block
                          > dangling from my ceiling right now, and would like to know of a
                          > simpler solution, something really easy that can be brushed or sprayed
                          > onto the paper. I use Renaissance Microcrystalline wax if the papers
                          > need to be sealed with wax, but sometimes I need a shinier finish.
                          >
                          > By the way, does anyone know where Texoprint paper is manufactured, or
                          > where large sheets can be purchased?
                          >
                          > "So much to learn, so little time" she whines in true Peter Sellers
                          > style. . . . . . Joan

                        • Jake Benson
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 13, 2007
                            Lokman,

                            For marbling, straight beeswax was never added to marbling pints in
                            Europe and the US. It was prepared first by melting it together with
                            pure soap, which is them known as "saponified wax". Instructions are
                            found in several manuals, such as those by Woolnough, Halfer, and
                            Kinder. A small amount of powdered saponified wax was then added to
                            the paints. I think this can be observed in early 19th marbled sheets
                            where the color appears to be a very heavy paint layer. when held up
                            to the light, the color appears to be very shiny, but the surrounding
                            paper is quite dull.

                            Jake Benson