Re: [Marbling] Award for my suminagashi

  • JILL DOLPHIN
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2007
      Congratulations! Nicely done!

      Jill

      sharonrosegiles <sharon_giles@...> wrote:
      Thought I'd let you know that I won a second prize in mixed media
      ($100) for my painting "Seal Squabble" at the Irving Art Association
      Annual Juried Competition in May. It's s suminagashi that I created
      and added the paintings of seals to. They are rendered in a
      semi-abstract way to harmonize with the swirling design. You can view
      it on the IAA website at
      http://irvingart.org/gallery/IAA2007/IAA2007.htm . Click on the
      thumbnail image for a larger pix.

      I have done other paintings in the same style using humpback whales
      and seabirds. Suminagashi works well with aquatic subjects. Usually I
      use a stencil to save a place for the painted image, but in the case
      of "Seal Squabble" the seals were put in afterwards. In some cases I
      think that works even better. I was able to take advantage of the
      artefacts in the design.

      Sharon

      _____ __o
    • Ingrid
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 11, 2007
        Thank you for sharing your lovely work Sharon.
        Regards, Ingrid