RE: [Marbling] New Mexico....

  • Thomas D' Aquin
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2007
      note tom leach: If I am not mistaken , georgia o'keefe had a studio and
      gallery in santa fe.
      I recently saw a print of one of her paintings and it seemed that she may
      have ujsed the marbling
      technique in making it. do you have any inform ation on this? aquinas

      >From: leech541@...
      >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Marbling] New Mexico....
      >Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 00:34:38 EDT
      >
      >Thanks Jake!
      >
      >Indeed, a puddle in New Mexico is almost as rare as ice at the equator.
      >After
      >a long drought and scary fire season earlier this summer, in August we had
      >more rain in New Mexico than anyone can remember. My basement (sometimes
      >referred to as the Billy the Kid Memorial Dungeon) at the Palace Press
      >flooded twice
      >- once due to a broken city water main, but the second time from heavy
      >rain.
      >
      >Last week my wife and I were camping at Chaco Canyon and were poured on
      >during dinner one evening. All the other campers sought refuge in their
      >tents, but
      >Kathleen and I donned rain gear, toasted the heavens, and ate out in the
      >rain.
      >Later I figured out that everyone else was from out of state. For us, rain
      >is
      >still a gift. Reminds me of what I learned from Oz in Istanbul - that for
      >some, an umbrella is an offence to Allah for the offering of rain.
      >
      >Perhaps the photo illustrates why I am so attracted to marbled concentric
      >overlays. I would recommend to any marbler taking the time to watch
      >raindrops on
      >a lake (if you are lucky enough to have rain, that is!) Right now I flash
      >back
      >a few years to standing on a wooden bridge in the rain next to the 8th
      >Century poet Tu Fu's cottage in Chengdu, China. In the creek below I
      >pondered the
      >millions of raindrops falling, thinking of each as an annual ring in a
      >tree, or
      >the annual year of one's life, and the millions of lives growing,
      >overlapping
      >and vanishing in an instant.
      >
      >Marblers, take the time to think about time! Hopefully, it will slow you
      >down
      >to a pace more in step with the universe. Our trip last week also took us
      >the Grand Canyon. Talk about feeling small and humble and insignificant. At
      >Chaco we thought about the vanished culture of 700 to a thousand years ago.
      >At
      >the Grand Canyon, a thousand years is a but a second compared to the 6
      >million
      >years it took rain and wind to gouge out the gorge, and that is but a
      >second
      >compared to the 1.2 billion years of rock laid out before your eyes. And
      >the
      >color! Should anything approaching it ever end up in my tank I will
      >consider
      >myself blessed.
      >
      >As a sorry aside, a ranger told me that the new Superintendent at Chaco
      >Canyon National Historic Park is a politically appointed creationist, who
> [...]

      Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the i�m Initiative now.
      It�s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_MAY07