Re: [Marbling] Versatex

  • Gail Mackenzie
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2007
      Sorry to her that. I helped R G& S develop their line of colors
      especially for marbling. That said, I still think that Colorcraft
      Createx's line of air brush pigments is the best for marbling on
      fabrics for both methyl cel and carragenan. They might have made
      drastic changes in the time since I've retired, but, I think they
      might be worth a trial run with some small bottles available on line
      and in stores. Good luck!
      On May 9, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Dr Zayus wrote:

      > I just heard that Jaquard is discontinuing its line of versatex
      > marbling inks and I'm crushed!! These were, for me, by far the most
      > economical and most permanent inks for marbling fabric!
      >
      > Any fabric marblers have suggestions for a replacement brand?
      >
      > Dr Z
      > trippykitty.com

    • pauliquann
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29 3:27 PM
        --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Zayus" <greatgrapefruit@...> wrote:

        > I just heard that Jaquard is discontinuing its line of versatex
        > marbling inks and I'm crushed!! These were, for me, by far the most
        > economical and most permanent inks for marbling fabric!
        >
        > Any fabric marblers have suggestions for a replacement brand?
        >
        > Dr Z
        > trippykitty.com

        Yes: I used to use Jacquard's Marbling Colors but even before they
        discontinued the line (I sometimes found them tempormental) I tried
        Pigment Dyes sold at Dharma Trading and they work great! Now I'm
        hooked! Initially, you'll have to work with them for a little bit to
        get the correct proportion of dye and water and dispersant but once you
        hit the formula, I find them a really great marbling color choice.
        I usually use the 1:4 ratio - 1 part dye to 4 parts water and a drop at
        a time of dispersant. I used to use Versatex dispersant but recently
        swithched to Golden Acrylic Flow Release (I had a bottle on hand and
        decided to give it a whirl). But with this product you must be sure to
        only add a teeny drop. Someitmes I'll add a drop of Versatex if the
        Acrylic Flow Release drop doesn't make the dye flow quite enough but
        usually it's fine. I don't mean to be verbose, but give the Pigment
        Dyes a try. You might like them. Good Luck,
        Paulette