Versatex

  • Dr Zayus
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 2007
      I just heard that Jaquard is discontinuing its line of versatex
      marbling inks and I'm crushed!! These were, for me, by far the most
      economical and most permanent inks for marbling fabric!

      Any fabric marblers have suggestions for a replacement brand?

      Dr Z
      trippykitty.com
    • Gail Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2007
        Sorry to her that. I helped R G& S develop their line of colors
        especially for marbling. That said, I still think that Colorcraft
        Createx's line of air brush pigments is the best for marbling on
        fabrics for both methyl cel and carragenan. They might have made
        drastic changes in the time since I've retired, but, I think they
        might be worth a trial run with some small bottles available on line
        and in stores. Good luck!
        On May 9, 2007, at 7:18 PM, Dr Zayus wrote:

        > I just heard that Jaquard is discontinuing its line of versatex
        > marbling inks and I'm crushed!! These were, for me, by far the most
        > economical and most permanent inks for marbling fabric!
        >
        > Any fabric marblers have suggestions for a replacement brand?
        >
        > Dr Z
        > trippykitty.com

      • pauliquann
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
          --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "Dr Zayus" <greatgrapefruit@...> wrote:

          > I just heard that Jaquard is discontinuing its line of versatex
          > marbling inks and I'm crushed!! These were, for me, by far the most
          > economical and most permanent inks for marbling fabric!
          >
          > Any fabric marblers have suggestions for a replacement brand?
          >
          > Dr Z
          > trippykitty.com

          Yes: I used to use Jacquard's Marbling Colors but even before they
          discontinued the line (I sometimes found them tempormental) I tried
          Pigment Dyes sold at Dharma Trading and they work great! Now I'm
          hooked! Initially, you'll have to work with them for a little bit to
          get the correct proportion of dye and water and dispersant but once you
          hit the formula, I find them a really great marbling color choice.
          I usually use the 1:4 ratio - 1 part dye to 4 parts water and a drop at
          a time of dispersant. I used to use Versatex dispersant but recently
          swithched to Golden Acrylic Flow Release (I had a bottle on hand and
          decided to give it a whirl). But with this product you must be sure to
          only add a teeny drop. Someitmes I'll add a drop of Versatex if the
          Acrylic Flow Release drop doesn't make the dye flow quite enough but
          usually it's fine. I don't mean to be verbose, but give the Pigment
          Dyes a try. You might like them. Good Luck,
          Paulette