Explaining peewits

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2007
      Hi all,

      my apologies for not explaining a term that must be unfamiliar to many marblers – I didn't
      take into account that Yehuda, whom I met at an exhibition, is a step ahead. Although it is
      introduced by a nameless writer, I love the idea of being surrounded by little birds with
      marbled wings! As long as they keep a polite distance and none of them decides to sit
      down on my head.

      Now: peewit paper is a form of finely sprinkled paper that has been ubiquitous in Europe (I
      am German indeed, but they are made here, there and everywhere) since the fifteenth
      century. A sheets is brushed – usually in a hue of more or less dirty brown, either greyish,
      reddish, or yellowish – and then sprinkled in fine specks, usually black. They were used
      often for small or medium sized books, full as well as half bindings, that needed to be
      bound but had to be cheap. A very messy process, but the basic technique is easy (except
      for the cleaning up afterwards). What follows is that many bookbinders made their own
      peewit papers (or, short: peewits) and used them as the need arose. Many a time they are
      called 'peewit marbles' which always makes me wince as it is no marbling process! Olga
      Hirsch calls them 'plover marbles', which is just using another correct word for the bird.

      For those who'd like to see it: go to my website www.hamburgerbuntpapier.de, choose the
      language, on to the gallery section, on to 'Books', and the book lying uppermost on the
      heap on the fifth photo is bound in a peewit paper. The site's reconstruction is not quite
      finished as the 'Paper' section in the gallery is not yet online but shiould be there during
      this week.

      For more questions, just ask!

      Susanne Krause
    • Bette Abdu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 24, 2007
        Susanne,
        Thank you so much for the explanation. I was glad to see that others were
        in the dark about this ³peewit² term. One more question. How are the
        specks applied? with a toothbrush that is scrapped over a finger or board?

        Thanks for pointing us to a picture as well. For ease of navigation, here is
        the link to the specific page Susanne references in her message below
        http://www.hamburgerbuntpapier.de/en/galerie015_en.html
        Best regards
        Bette in New Hampshire, USA

      • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 25, 2007
          Bette,
          the specks can be applied in a multitude of techniques, depending on the special case you
          have to cope with, resp. the sort of dots you need. A toothbrush is not the best of tools,
          too small with a too long handle. Makes you tired before you have completed the first
          sheet. Better use a nail-brush (new, not the much named old one. You'll want elastic
          bristles). Plus a finger, or a stick, or a glass tube, or a lattice, or mesh. Scrap it, or beat it
          like a whisk. Try the atomizer. Don't use air-brush technique unless it is for contemporary
          patterns.

          Whatever you do: remember to cover up yourself and your surroundings, incl. a face mask!
          Finely atomized paints in your nose and lungs are no joke.

          Susanne Krause