Re: [Marbling] Re suppliers of carragheen moss in Australia

  • J Dolphin
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
      Please! Can you give me the phone number and address for this store in
      Sydney?
      Thanks
      Jill
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
        >why carragheen gives the best results. I am one of these curious
        >scientific types you see. I have been wondering if an ordinary agar
        >would work ie the type you grow bacteria on in microbiology labs. has
        >anyone tried this?
        >
        >Penny Laver

        I believe that agar and carragheenan produce their gels by different
        mechanisms (physical chemically). Marbling is affected by many
        imponderables, especially the colloidal and surface properties of the size
        and the stuff being floated. So I think that agar is the wrong kind of
        starch but heck if you have some from the lab, give it a try.

        Richard J. Wolfe has a section in his scholarly work on marbling that
        reports on many things that have been tried for the size. Carragheenan and
        methyl cellulose lead the pack. People who need really fine detail seem to
        opt for carragheenan. (Which it is possible to extract right from the
        seaweed on your ocean beach, if you have a handy ocean beach in the right
        part of the world. You want the seaweed Irish Moss, chondrus crispus. See
        the very clear instructions in Anne Chambers' book.)

        Regards,
        Jan Walker, on a beach by the North Atlantic
      • Lavinia Adler
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
          Iris Nevins, Decorative Papers
          P.O. Box 429
          Johnsonburg, NJ 07846
          IrisNevins@...

          1-9 lbs. $23.00/lb. 10 lbs. or more $21.00/lb.
          (pricelist is from 1998)

          BookMakers International, Ltd.
          6701B Lafayette Ave.
          Riverdale Park, MD 20737

          Moss (requres cooking) 1 lb. $9.50 ; 2 lbs. $8.75 ; 6 lbs. $8.00 (per
          pound)
          pre-cooked 1/2 lb. $13.75 ; 2 lbs. $12.50 ; 6 lbs. $10.95
          "

          Talas
          568 Broadway
          New York, NY 10012
          talas@...

          1/4 lb. $16.88 ; 1/2 lb. $22.50 ; 1 lb. $30.00 ; 5 lbs. $120.00
          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • J Dolphin
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
            I must apologize--to you especially--that I do Not have the database set up
            that lists ALL the professional marblers and their contact numbers etc. In a
            pinch--go into the file sections here--and see what info you can obtain.
            There are suppliers on this list I am certain can help you out--and they can
            contact you off list--or publicly post their info.
            Now John is over in Singapore--where he gets his supplies might be of
            benfit to you, too--so hopefully he will also respond to this post.
            And Yes--to everyone else--I will Really try to get all the info put
            together in one file--for future readers looking for assistance!
            Thanks
            Jill
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
              Hi,

              I got my carrageenan supply from a local company who supplies them in
              bulk. Look for "Colloids" or bakery supplies, under the yellow pages.
              I must admit I had to do a lot of "finger walking" to find the store.

              > Now John is over in Singapore--where he gets his supplies might
              be of
              > benfit to you, too--so hopefully he will also respond to this post.

              John
            • Royce Wiles