Re: [Marbling] Re: Introduction and questions

  • Thomas D' Aquin
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 20, 2007
      I too go back many, many, years. when I started marbling I had never eard
      of the word
      "marbling" at that time it was called spin painting or swirl paintging using
      oil based enamels.
      It was nt till I en countered the marblin group o n the net that I started
      to thicken my
      water in order to make more complicated designs. I am referring to the 40's
      wbhen I first made
      some very primitive designs. In tnhe 60's I worked as a
      demonsrtrater-salesman forf a small company called RAINBOW ART COLORS based
      in orlan do, fla. we sold kits containi ng 6 on e quarter oz bottles of
      oil color plus in structions. price $3.00 or 2 for 5. they went oujt of
      busi ness in the 80's as travelli ng expen ses becasme prohibitive for
      thbeir agen ts. the on ly additive we used was 20 mule twam borax, which I
      still use. Tomas D'Aquin

      >From: "irisnevins" <irisnevins@...>
      >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re: Introduction and questions
      >Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 13:22:51 -0400
      >
      >You really need a full year in a place to get the feel of it and have it
      >run smoothly MOST of the time. There will always be those days.
      >
      >Not to say you go back to the dark ages for a year, just that you have to
      >keep on top of your adjustments is all. Even marbling in the morning will
      >be different from the afternoon as temps change. You will with patience get
      >to the point where you know what to do.
      >
      >Being self taught, I never had a clue about PH or hard or soft water or
      >additives. In fact I started when people were still using bunches of the
      >dried seaweed and the size always came out a bit different. Boy did we have
      >troubles then! But you just dealt with them, always making the size too
      >thick so you could water it down right, never risking that it came out too
      >thin to work. And sometimes it still did. So you do things like marble
      >really shallow so the pattern swims around less. There really is a solution
      >to every problem, sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling with. Look on it as
      >fun experimenting.
      >
      >Iris Nevins
      >www.marblingpaper.com

      Download Messenger. Join the i�m Initiative. Help make a difference today.
    • spurioussignals
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 20, 2007
        :-O A full year!
        This is the original instant gratification QUEEN you are talking to.
        Sigh. I expect that everything will cooperate in my universe and work
        perfectly the very first time, lol

        I am supposed to be working on patience so I guess that is why I was
        sent in the direction of marbling, the universe is playing some kind
        or sick cruel joke;-)
        I do love it though, so I am determined to get good at it.
        I have to. I am so in love with the paper and purchased quite a lot of
        Galen's but have not been able to bring myself to cut it, it is just
        so beautiful. I know that I will have to learn to do it myself if I
        want to be able to USE any marbled paper in book projects.

        When I got my first apartment in the mid 70's I started making
        handmade paper, it was just me so that was all I used my kitchen for,
        never even bought pots and pans. Back then I didn't know anyone who
        was making paper and there was no Internet, so I did a lot of
        experimenting and that was the fun of it, just seeing what would
        happen. I Need to get that spirit of exploration back, that's what I
        am lacking! Too many years of working as an insurance agent (and
        hating it) It really kills that child like enthusiasm for making stuff
        for the pleasure of seeing how it comes out, Not striving for or
        demanding perfection every time.
        (and at least I don't have to boil seaweed, that has got to be a good
        thing!)

        So thanks for the new attitude. And for sharing your hard earned
        knowledge, not everyone is so willing to mentor a novice, and I swear,
        cross my heart that I have read tons of sites and have Diane
        Maurer-Mathisson's Ultimate book.. But it doesn't have much on acrylic
        marbling. And, of course I have Galen's book. I have another that I
        will not mention the author but it leaves a lot to be desired.

        When I learned to clone Orchids from stem tissue, there was one
        Russian site that had a primitive set up and instructions, not
        speaking Russian made it difficult to glean a lot of info but I got
        the gist, no one else would share. So if you want to clone orchids or
        do woodcarving or stained glass, or welding or use a plasma cutter,
        metal etching, calligraphy, clay tiles, slumped glass, antique
        restoration, raised gold gilding.... I'm your girl!
        (Never mind, I forgot you make that wonderful medieval Jewelry)
        .......There's still Orchids!

        Sorry, I am a terrible rambler.

        Dani

        PS, tried to buys some of your paper, but it was storming here last
        night and playing havoc with my connection, I'll try again Sunday,
        Or... you could just mail me an invoice for one Blue Spanish Sunspot,
        one Tortoiseshell, and one Moire (any color on the last one, pick your
        favorite) I don't have any watercolor marbled paper. They will go into
        the collection of papers that are not to be cut, lol

        wrote:

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • scorpion1y6
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 21, 2007
          Hi Dani,

          I have also taken Galen's class, first a year ago, and repeated last
          month. I live in the mountains of central Arizona so humidity isn't a
          problem for me, and I had a great deal of success with Galen's
          products, the Texoprint paper and his marbling paints throughout most
          of last year. In winter I began having so many problems I decided to
          stop marbling for a couple of months until the weather warmed up,
          thinking it was the unheated room I was working in. My papers all had
          what I call "fracturing" all over them, the paints were crazed and
          crackled everywhere.

          When I took Galen's advanced class last month he watched me marbling,
          and he was able identify my problem, which was holding the
          just-printed paper over the carrageenan size to drip before rinsing.
          He said the alum was running off into the size and contaminating it. I
          have stopped doing that by immediately transferring my print to a tray
          for washing. Much better!

          I use Galen's paints as well as those in the ProChemical line which I
          buy online. I also use Masa paper from Daniel Smith online. Both have
          given me results as nice as Galen's products.

          Re: wrinkled paper, I haven't had any problems with Texoprint, it
          seems to flatten itself well. Masa takes a bit more pressing, which I
          do after coating with alum, air-drying, then pressing overnight under
          heavy books with the papers sandwiched between clean newsprint. I,
          too, keep my dry alum-coated papers in a large ziplock, and I don't
          believe I have any problems with this.

          Good luck to you, and keeping trying! It's such a rewarding art and
          I'm enjoying it immensely, as well as this very informative group.

          Vickie
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 21, 2007
            Yup...alum in the tray will do that!

            Also Natur Text from Hahnemuelle is the paper I swear by. Pricey, but works!

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 23, 2007
              I love Rising Stonehenge, it is consistent. I would like to work with a
              lighter weight paper though. Where are some sources for the Natur Text?

              Thanks,
              Susanne

            • julieann.stella
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 23, 2007
                Hi, Dani! You've gotten a lot of great advice here from people much more experienced
                than I, but I thought I'd offer one little thing to try...you mentioned that you are using your
                carrageenan size straight from the fridge. You might try warming it to room temp first, if
                you're not already doing that.

                Best of luck to you! It stinks when you go through all the preparation and then have
                technical problems at the tray. I am so impatient with the technical stuff. Sometimes, I
                solve my problems with chocolate, HGTV and sulking.

                :)
                Julie

                www.lostmymarbles.etsy.com

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 23, 2007
                  I get it from Atlantic Papers in Pennsylvania. You have to buy a lot in bulk, I sell tubes of 25 sheets at my website.

                  I love Rising Stonehenge, it is consistent. I would like to work with a
                  lighter weight paper though. Where are some sources for the Natur Text?

                  Thanks,
                  Susanne

                  >From: "irisnevins" <irisnevins@...<mailto:irisnevins@...>>
                  >To: <Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>>
                  >Subject: Re: [Marbling] Re: Introduction and questions
                  >Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 09:42:59 -0400
                  >
                  >Yup...alum in the tray will do that!
                  >
                  >Also Natur Text from Hahnemuelle is the paper I swear by. Pricey, but
                  >works!
                  >
                  >Iris Nevins
                  >www.marblingpaper.com<http://www.marblingpaper.com/<http://www.marblingpaper.com/>>

                  https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117<https://www2.nextag.com/goto.jsp?product=100000035&url=%2fst.jsp&tm=y&search=mortgage_text_links_88_h2bbb&disc=y&vers=925&s=4056&p=5117>

                • Dave Allen
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 23, 2007
                    Dani,
                    The brass edged boards are for pressing books. That puts the groove at
                    the spine and helps adhere the hinge. Normally one doesn't press them
                    together without enough between them to keep the brass edges from
                    touching. They will make a cracking noise, however, if they are
                    varnished plywood and haven't been pressed for a while.
                    Dave Allen

                    spurioussignals wrote:
                    > When I tightened the press down it made a cracking noise so it seemed
                    > like a good time to stop;-) I think I need different boards for this
                    > purpose the ones that came with the press have brass edges and I am
                    > afraid of damaging them.

                    840 Snowdrop Ave. Victoria BC V8Z 2N4
                    (250)888-9380 http://www.Bookbinder.ca