Re suppliers of carragheen moss in Australia

  • plaver@msamc.nsw.edu.au
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 13, 2000
      I have been unable to find a supplier in Sydney - Will's Quills at
      Chatswood used to keep it but no longer does owing to the cost.
      I am a novice marbeler and am interested to know from the experts why
      carragheen gives the best results. I am one of these curious
      scientific types you see. I have been wondering if an ordinary agar
      would work ie the type you grow bacteria on in microbiology labs. has
      anyone tried this?
      This group is great, I am learning so much from the experts, thank
      you all.
      Penny Laver
    • J Dolphin
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
        Please! Can you give me the phone number and address for this store in
        Sydney?
        Thanks
        Jill
        > I have been unable to find a supplier in Sydney - Will's Quills at
        > Chatswood used to keep it but no longer does owing to the cost.
        > I am a novice marbeler and am interested to know from the experts why
        > carragheen gives the best results. I am one of these curious
        > scientific types you see. I have been wondering if an ordinary agar
        > would work ie the type you grow bacteria on in microbiology labs. has
        > anyone tried this?
        > This group is great, I am learning so much from the experts, thank
        > you all.
        > Penny Laver
        >

        > Community email addresses:
        > Post message: Marbling@onelist.com
        >
        > Shortcut URL to this page:

      • Jan Walker
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
          >why carragheen gives the best results. I am one of these curious
          >scientific types you see. I have been wondering if an ordinary agar
          >would work ie the type you grow bacteria on in microbiology labs. has
          >anyone tried this?
          >
          >Penny Laver

          I believe that agar and carragheenan produce their gels by different
          mechanisms (physical chemically). Marbling is affected by many
          imponderables, especially the colloidal and surface properties of the size
          and the stuff being floated. So I think that agar is the wrong kind of
          starch but heck if you have some from the lab, give it a try.

          Richard J. Wolfe has a section in his scholarly work on marbling that
          reports on many things that have been tried for the size. Carragheenan and
          methyl cellulose lead the pack. People who need really fine detail seem to
          opt for carragheenan. (Which it is possible to extract right from the
          seaweed on your ocean beach, if you have a handy ocean beach in the right
          part of the world. You want the seaweed Irish Moss, chondrus crispus. See
          the very clear instructions in Anne Chambers' book.)

          Regards,
          Jan Walker, on a beach by the North Atlantic
        • Lavinia Adler
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
            Iris Nevins, Decorative Papers
            P.O. Box 429
            Johnsonburg, NJ 07846
            IrisNevins@...

            1-9 lbs. $23.00/lb. 10 lbs. or more $21.00/lb.
            (pricelist is from 1998)

            BookMakers International, Ltd.
            6701B Lafayette Ave.
            Riverdale Park, MD 20737

            Moss (requres cooking) 1 lb. $9.50 ; 2 lbs. $8.75 ; 6 lbs. $8.00 (per
            pound)
            pre-cooked 1/2 lb. $13.75 ; 2 lbs. $12.50 ; 6 lbs. $10.95
            "

            Talas
            568 Broadway
            New York, NY 10012
            talas@...

            1/4 lb. $16.88 ; 1/2 lb. $22.50 ; 1 lb. $30.00 ; 5 lbs. $120.00
            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • J Dolphin
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
              I must apologize--to you especially--that I do Not have the database set up
              that lists ALL the professional marblers and their contact numbers etc. In a
              pinch--go into the file sections here--and see what info you can obtain.
              There are suppliers on this list I am certain can help you out--and they can
              contact you off list--or publicly post their info.
              Now John is over in Singapore--where he gets his supplies might be of
              benfit to you, too--so hopefully he will also respond to this post.
              And Yes--to everyone else--I will Really try to get all the info put
              together in one file--for future readers looking for assistance!
              Thanks
              Jill
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 14, 2000
                Hi,

                I got my carrageenan supply from a local company who supplies them in
                bulk. Look for "Colloids" or bakery supplies, under the yellow pages.
                I must admit I had to do a lot of "finger walking" to find the store.

                > Now John is over in Singapore--where he gets his supplies might
                be of
                > benfit to you, too--so hopefully he will also respond to this post.

                John
              • Royce Wiles