Re: [Marbling] Edge marbling

    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
      Sorry Susanne, I didn't get a link?
      From: hamburgerbuntpapier_de<mailto:studio@...>
      To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 6:09 AM
      Subject: [Marbling] Edge marbling

      Dear aficionados,

      here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in English.

      Susanne Krause

    • Tony Charlton
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
        Not just me then that could not find a link.

        Tony.

        on 14/3/07 11:09, hamburgerbuntpapier_de at studio@...
        wrote:

        > Dear aficionados,
        >
        > here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in
        > English.
        >
        > Susanne Krause

      • anthonianthonianthoni
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
          I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

          is there any solution to this?

          Anthony
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
            Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4" think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.

            You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are fine and dry and not cockled by morning.

            Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!

            Iris Nevins
            www.marblingpaper.com

            On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

            I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

            is there any solution to this?

            Anthony

          • Antonio Velez Celemín
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 18, 2012
              It's very well explained, Iris.

              The only problem is not to get dampness in the book, and using clamps and
              giving time to dry the books, solve the question. Painting will never stain
              the interior of the book because there's only a thin layer on the surface
              of the bath, unable to get inside the book. So, as I said, dampness is the
              only problem to take care.

              Antonio

              2012/2/18 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

              > **
              >

              > Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will
              > take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4"
              > think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about
              > halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It
              > should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as
              > handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with
              > absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.
              >
              > You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge
              > marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with
              > bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are
              > fine and dry and not cockled by morning.
              >
              > Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I
              > should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!
              >
              > Iris Nevins
              > www.marblingpaper.com
              >

              > On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
              >
              > I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have
              > been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle
              > violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a
              > result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.
              >
              > is there any solution to this?
              >
              > Anthony

            • angchengsiew
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 20, 2012
                Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                Forward to 1:50 min
                http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                Forward to about 1 min.
                http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 20, 2012
                  That;s exactly how I do it, down to the same clamps! They make a good handle.
                  Except I use watercolor, not acrylic.

                  Iris Nevins
                  www.marblingpaper.com

                  On 02/20/12, angchengsiew<angchengsiew@...> wrote:

                  Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                  Forward to 1:50 min
                  http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                  Forward to about 1 min.
                  http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                  You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.

                • rosanna corrò
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 27, 2012
                    Hello everybody,
                    I wanted to share with all of you my experience with Antonio's new book. here's my opinion:
                    I had great satisfaction in turning over page by page. I appreciate all the sections,the images are amazing. finally I can say I have a serious, really interesting book about the art of marbling in my library. It's an useful tool for the ones who already have experience with marbling but at the same time for the ones who start appreciating this art.

                    I advice it to everyone.

                    Rosanna Corrò

                    www.facebook.com/cartevenezia
                    www.flickr.com/photos/cartevenezia/
                    www.cartevenezia.it

                    ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                        I got a copy, but I wish it was also written in English because I can't read Spanish and thus couldn't enjoy the text... What a shame on my part.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015

                          A friend bought a set of 3 valuable antiquarian books whose pages had unfortunately been trimmed by the binder. The new covers are also inappropriate, and the owner now plans on having the books recovered, possibly in full leather or half leather with marbled paper sides. Years ago, book edges were often marbled, especially when marbled covers or end papers were used. Is this a practical idea? Would any pretreatment be needed if the book edges were not freshly trimmed? Does anyone do this work nowadays? If they do, what should one expect to pay to have this done?

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015
                            I have done a fair bit of it...usually for new editions, where some waste is possible, if it didn't take in a spot, just like on paper. They usually over run and print too many and tos out a few that are bad. For a restoration, it can be a heart in your mouth experience truly. You get no room for a mistake. I would in that case recommend a small stone type pattern where if you have a blank spot it would be easier to paint it in after to match, using the same paints.

                            You need to first clamp the book block tight by cutting wood boards just a hair smaller than the book all around and then clamping but leaving the edges to be marbled exposed....I presume you will get the unbound book before covers are put on...it is much much safer...really the only proper way. Then you alum the edges...clamping prevents liquid running in, and don't soak the alum in, dab with a sponge. Let it dry, and then you quickly marble the three sides, kind of the first in and roll into the second and then the third. It's a quick movement...

                            Practice on lots of old paperback books first!!
                            Iris Nevins
                            www.marblingpaper.com

                            On 10/02/15, rgoldenberg@... [Marbling]<Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                            A friend bought a set of 3 valuable antiquarian books whose pages had unfortunately been trimmed by the binder. The new covers are also inappropriate, and the owner now plans on having the books recovered, possibly in full leather or half leather with marbled paper sides. Years ago, book edges were often marbled, especially when marbled covers or end papers were used. Is this a practical idea? Would any pretreatment be needed if the book edges were not freshly trimmed? Does anyone do this work nowadays? If they do, what should one expect to pay to have this done?

                            Robert

                          • Ginny Moreland
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015
                              Iris has covered your answer, but coincidentally Daniel St. John (of Chena River Marblers) will be teaching this technique next week at the Campbell Folkshool.  Regina and he are doing a session there appropriately titled:  "Marbling: You Can Never Have Enough!"  Which is how I feel about still taking classes with new (to me) instructors.

                              There are still a few spaces left in the class!  class details here

                              Ginny Moreland
                              Black Mountain
                              North Carolina

                              --
                              Ginny

                              Ginny Moreland
                              Black Mountain, NC

                              Asheville Choral Society  - "All Creatures Great and Small"  October 3rd 7::30  pm
                              UU Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley - a welcoming congregation
                              ColorTwirl Marbling - marbled silk and paper products, instruction, demonstrations