Edge marbling

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
      Dear aficionados,

      here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in English.

      Susanne Krause
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
        Sorry Susanne, I didn't get a link?
        here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in English.

        Susanne Krause

      • Tony Charlton
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 14, 2007
          Not just me then that could not find a link.

          Tony.

          on 14/3/07 11:09, hamburgerbuntpapier_de at studio@...
          wrote:

          > Dear aficionados,
          >
          > here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in
          > English.
          >
          > Susanne Krause

        • anthonianthonianthoni
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 17, 2012
            I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

            is there any solution to this?

            Anthony
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 17, 2012
              Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4" think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.

              You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are fine and dry and not cockled by morning.

              Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!

              Iris Nevins
              www.marblingpaper.com

              On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

              I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

              is there any solution to this?

              Anthony

            • Antonio Velez Celemín
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 18, 2012
                It's very well explained, Iris.

                The only problem is not to get dampness in the book, and using clamps and
                giving time to dry the books, solve the question. Painting will never stain
                the interior of the book because there's only a thin layer on the surface
                of the bath, unable to get inside the book. So, as I said, dampness is the
                only problem to take care.

                Antonio

                2012/2/18 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

                > **
                >

                > Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will
                > take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4"
                > think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about
                > halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It
                > should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as
                > handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with
                > absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.
                >
                > You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge
                > marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with
                > bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are
                > fine and dry and not cockled by morning.
                >
                > Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I
                > should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!
                >
                > Iris Nevins
                > www.marblingpaper.com
                >

                > On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
                >
                > I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have
                > been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle
                > violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a
                > result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.
                >
                > is there any solution to this?
                >
                > Anthony

              • angchengsiew
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 20, 2012
                  Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                  Forward to 1:50 min
                  http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                  Forward to about 1 min.
                  http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                  You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 20, 2012
                    That;s exactly how I do it, down to the same clamps! They make a good handle.
                    Except I use watercolor, not acrylic.

                    Iris Nevins
                    www.marblingpaper.com

                    On 02/20/12, angchengsiew<angchengsiew@...> wrote:

                    Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                    Forward to 1:50 min
                    http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                    Forward to about 1 min.
                    http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                    You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.

                  • rosanna corrò
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 27, 2012
                      Hello everybody,
                      I wanted to share with all of you my experience with Antonio's new book. here's my opinion:
                      I had great satisfaction in turning over page by page. I appreciate all the sections,the images are amazing. finally I can say I have a serious, really interesting book about the art of marbling in my library. It's an useful tool for the ones who already have experience with marbling but at the same time for the ones who start appreciating this art.

                      I advice it to everyone.

                      Rosanna Corrò

                      www.facebook.com/cartevenezia
                      www.flickr.com/photos/cartevenezia/
                      www.cartevenezia.it

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 6, 2012
                          I got a copy, but I wish it was also written in English because I can't read Spanish and thus couldn't enjoy the text... What a shame on my part.