Re: Marbling edges

  • sixshort
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
      --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...>
      wrote:

      >Hello again, Susanne, Thanks for the description of edge marbling.
      No problem, mate. However, as with everything, the devil is in the
      detail. << place the block tightly between boards and 'roll' the edge
      over the surface of your size.>> Read my swiveling eyes. Sounds a walk
      over, but I can just see myself doing this - not ???!!! .... the book
      shooting from my grasp at the crucial moment and being totally
      marbled. There must be some kind of brace to hold the boards tightly
      against the text while the tricky manoeuvre of turning the book just
      on the top of the size to catch the marbled pattern is being
      gracefully executed. As I have said before, I think I will take up
      crochet. Any further words? See ya, Joan
      > Hi Joan,
      >
      > thanks for the word! I simply didn't dare to use the direct translation.
      > I suppose the bristles are boiled because bristles contain protein,
      and protein will be
      > hardened by boiling. I can vouch that it works, even my oldest drop
      brushes never lost
      > their form.
      >
      > As to marbling edges: the bookblock incl. endpapers is cut to
      format, the edges must be
      > very smooth. All irregularities will show. Then protect the
      endpapers with waste paper,
      > place the block tightly between boards and 'roll' the edge over the
      surface of your size.

      > All the best,
      > Susanne Krause
      >
      > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "sixshort" <joan@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In Marbling@yahoogroups.com, "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > >Dear Susanne, I have seen methods of making these brushes, called
      > > simply "drop brushes", and have even bought some horse hair and rose
      > > twigs to make one, but time . . . . . interesting to hear of the
      > > boiling process - maybe to weaken the bristles so that they retain the
      > > curved shape? From memory the directions were given in one of my Anne
      > > Chambers books, but as my bookcase is barricaded by rolls of winter
      > > mats, it will be a major effort to go through the books right now -
      > > come on, winter, we have had enough of summer heat in Australia.
      > >
      > > As an addendum - can anyone point me in the right direction to info
      > > about end-marbling books? I have had a request from a bookbinder to
      > > do this, but can't find any practical directions on websites, and
      > > don't own a book with the details.
      > >
      > > It is so good to be in a field where there are no ends and no limits
      > > except those of the imagination. Happy paper decorating! Joan
      Ajala

    • Jake Benson
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
        Hi Joan,

        Regarding edge marbling; there are two distinct approaches. Iris had detailed for you the
        most common method in which you carefully roll the three edges at the same time onto
        the carragheenan bath. Like her, I use the clamps. At the Government Printing Office
        (GPO) in Washington DC, they still do it this way WITHOUT the clamps and the pressure of
        the hands alone, but it is now only done on a few hundred books each year.

        You can watch a short, old video, part of the "America at Work series produced by the
        AFL-CIO. This clip was John Ang posted a couple of years ago. I think it was probably
        filmed at the GPO, as it is one of the few shops that I'm aware of that was still edge
        marbling and working with unionized staff. Although it may be filmed at Merriam
        Webster. The segment is featured from 3:15-4;13 minutes into the film. the man tilts the
        books in between marbling each side, but I think this is just for show, so that it could be
        filmed.

        <http://www.archive.org/details/Bookbind1961>

        One small piece of advice- practice on blank paper pads or blank books before you do this
        for someone else. Another tip comes from edge gilding. Some kinds of paper that are
        highly absorbent and apt to feature bleed lines can benefit from a dusting of talc on the
        pages prior to clamping. Typically a soft cloth is used and the edges of the books are
        fanned open and gently dusted with a very sparing amount. If you use a size that is
        "tougher" resulting in a harder bond (such acrylics on methyl cell size), this step also helps
        to keep the edges from staying stuck to one another. the edges need ot be carefully
        fanned when done so as not to tear. That said, it's not always necessary to do this.
        Finally, I would suggest convincing the client to have only the top egde marbled, as it will
        save a lot of time. Use a little drafting tape to mask off the top corner of the foredge
        (more about that below).

        While the above method is fastest and easiest method for marbling all three edges, it is
        not without certain drawbacks. If the binder rounds and backs the block after marbling in
        this manner, the pattern is visibly distorted and seem to slope downward at the front and
        back. Also the foredge will show "stepping" in the same areas where each section
        protrudes, interrupting the design. Hence it is best done on small or thin books that will
        not be rounded, backed, and are usually case-bound bound in various cloth.

        For a more refined approach suitable to tight-jointed full leather and fine bindings, a two-
        step process is used. First, you marble only the foredge, then you let it dry under the
        clamps. Once dry, the spine is rounded. At this stage, the books were often trimmed at
        head and tail on a guillotine. Then after rounding, you marble the head and tail edges,
        usually tail first, flipping the spine down to do the head.

        The second method results in no distortion of the pattern. It was a method commonly
        used for marbling account book edges, and this method was told to me by John Dean, the
        retired Chief of Preservation at Cornell University. John Dean served his apprenticeship in
        Yorkshire in the 50's and marbled a lot of account books. my old boss Don Etherington
        concurred that this was the method used at the Company of Stationers in London.

        I came up with a slight variation to eliminate the trimming step. I trim the blocks at the
        foredge and then head and tail. After I lock up and alum the edges, I adhere a little bit of
        drafting tape (masking tape is too sticky) at the head and tail edge, right at the corner of
        the foredge. This masks those edges off from any color. Recently, I thought to try a kind
        of tape that is made for masking trip when painting a room.

        Once dry, remove the tape, and then tape the top and bottom corners on the foredge
        before marbling the head and tail.

        There is one other way that books were marbling after the boards were attached. The
        boards were flipped back. If rounded and backed, the foredges can be straightened back
        out with a device known as a "trindle", which is inserted between the spine and the gap
        where the board is laced in. You can see this in the second image of the Diderot
        engravings. this is very complicated, but it is what was done historically. You can see
        some images here, from Crane's Bookbinding for amateurs, courtesy of Denis Gouey.

        <http://www.bindzbook.com/amateurs/chap9.htm>

        Additional references can be found on

        <www.aboutbookbinding.com> and Denis Gouey's site <http://www.bindzbook.com/>

        Here are some direct links:

        Paul Adam, Practical Bookbinding

        <http://aboutbookbinding.com/Practical_Bookbinding/Marbling-Gilding-Headband-
        Edges.html>

        Joseph Zaehsdorf, Art of bookbinding

        <http://aboutbookbinding.com/binding9.html>

        Renato Crepaldi provided this link to Harper's magazine a few years ago:

        <http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#135>
        <http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#136>

        Also Richard Norman has provided a free e-book on this topic on his web site:

        <http://www.edenworkshops.com/Paper_Marbling.html>

        Also, Halfer has a terrific chapter on edge decoration.
        the master gilder John Mitchell wrote a book on edge decoration a few years ago that is
        quite good. While the marbling section leaves a little to be desired, the pictures are good.

        I think that the second issue of the defunct magazine "Marbling Bath" from about 1995
        has an article on edge marbling. If I remember correctly, it was a reprint of an older article
        by "Macunius". After checking the revised bibliography of Phoebe Jane Easton, I do not
        find the citation listed. If anyone could kindly provide that citation (and for that matter, all
        the articles published in both issues), it would be really great to get the content of those
        issues documented.

        A woman named Jamie Rhodes has completed a great deal of the editing of the document,
        and I hope to present it later in the year, once other projects are oyt of the way.
        Meanwhile, numerous delays and technical problems have resulted in the delayed
        publication of the 2006 Marbling Annual, but I hope to announce publication of it soon.
        John Ang has done a "marbleous" job of fully revising the web links page by subject
        categories as well, but it can't be published until the others issues are resolved. I'll post
        an annoucnement when the site is ready.

        Best,

        Jake Benson
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 13, 2007
          Great Jake... it is harder than it seems at first, so do practice. I read all I could on it, but doing it was another matter, it takes a lot of skill and patience to do it right, and I had my troubles with it. Small books yes, you could forego the clamps. I believe my books were only very slightly rounded after the marbling. They were happy with the results, I was less so, I saw every little flaw magnified 10X! I have to say I do not enjoy doing this!

          <http://www.archive.org/details/Bookbind1961<http://www.archive.org/details/Bookbind1961>>

[...]

          <http://www.bindzbook.com/amateurs/chap9.htm<http://www.bindzbook.com/amateurs/chap9.htm>>

          Additional references can be found on

          <www.aboutbookbinding.com<http://www.aboutbookbinding.com/>> and Denis Gouey's site <http://www.bindzbook.com/<http://www.bindzbook.com/>>

          <http://aboutbookbinding.com/Practical_Bookbinding/Marbling-Gilding-Headband<http://aboutbookbinding.com/Practical_Bookbinding/Marbling-Gilding-Headband>-
          Edges.html>

          Joseph Zaehsdorf, Art of bookbinding

          <http://aboutbookbinding.com/binding9.html<http://aboutbookbinding.com/binding9.html>>

          Renato Crepaldi provided this link to Harper's magazine a few years ago:

          <http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#135<http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#135>>
          <http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#136<http://www.merrycoz.org/books/harper/HARPER.HTM#136>>

          Also Richard Norman has provided a free e-book on this topic on his web site:

          <http://www.edenworkshops.com/Paper_Marbling.html<http://www.edenworkshops.com/Paper_Marbling.html>>

[...]

        • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
            Dear aficionados,

            here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in English.

            Susanne Krause
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
              Sorry Susanne, I didn't get a link?
              here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in English.

              Susanne Krause

            • Tony Charlton
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 14, 2007
                Not just me then that could not find a link.

                Tony.

                on 14/3/07 11:09, hamburgerbuntpapier_de at studio@...
                wrote:

                > Dear aficionados,
                >
                > here's a link to a French bookbindery, explaining it all beautifully in
                > English.
                >
                > Susanne Krause

              • anthonianthonianthoni
                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                  I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

                  is there any solution to this?

                  Anthony
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 17, 2012
                    Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4" think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.

                    You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are fine and dry and not cockled by morning.

                    Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!

                    Iris Nevins
                    www.marblingpaper.com

                    On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:

                    I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.

                    is there any solution to this?

                    Anthony

                  • Antonio Velez Celemín
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 18, 2012
                      It's very well explained, Iris.

                      The only problem is not to get dampness in the book, and using clamps and
                      giving time to dry the books, solve the question. Painting will never stain
                      the interior of the book because there's only a thin layer on the surface
                      of the bath, unable to get inside the book. So, as I said, dampness is the
                      only problem to take care.

                      Antonio

                      2012/2/18 irisnevins <irisnevins@...>

                      > **
                      >

                      > Do you clamp the books between boards first before aluming? I usually will
                      > take a few, they are unbound and unrounded. Cut two boards, at least 1/4"
                      > think ply is what I use, clamps at top and bottom of spine end, in about
                      > halfway through. I lightly damp alum, them blot with paper towels a bit. It
                      > should not be able to cockle when clamped. Dry overnight. Us the clamps as
                      > handles to dip the three marbled sides. No rinsing, blot lightly with
                      > absorbent paper towel, but not enough to remove the color.
                      >
                      > You can remove the boards and clamps so to use again, say if you are edge
                      > marbling a whole edition of many. I stick them under heavy boards with
                      > bricks on top. I put waxed paper between each book in the stack. All are
                      > fine and dry and not cockled by morning.
                      >
                      > Very Tricky....and people wonder why I charge the same as per sheet! I
                      > should actually charge MORE! It's much more complicated than paper!
                      >
                      > Iris Nevins
                      > www.marblingpaper.com
                      >

                      > On 02/17/12, anthonianthonianthoni<anthonianthonianthoni@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > I have been attempting to marble the edges of books recently , and have
                      > been faced with this problem; whenever I apply the alum, the pages cockle
                      > violently, and they curl even more so when dipped into the bath. As a
                      > result, the text block has a most unsighlty appearence when finished.
                      >
                      > is there any solution to this?
                      >
                      > Anthony

                    • angchengsiew
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 20, 2012
                        Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                        Forward to 1:50 min
                        http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                        Forward to about 1 min.
                        http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                        You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 20, 2012
                          That;s exactly how I do it, down to the same clamps! They make a good handle.
                          Except I use watercolor, not acrylic.

                          Iris Nevins
                          www.marblingpaper.com

                          On 02/20/12, angchengsiew<angchengsiew@...> wrote:

                          Here's a video demonstrating dipping in edge marbling.

                          Forward to 1:50 min
                          http://youtu.be/KMiwjKzWKrw

                          Forward to about 1 min.
                          http://youtu.be/XkYVRVmbIAk

                          You can also view these entire clips, which shows bookbinding processes.

                        • rosanna corrò
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 27, 2012
                            Hello everybody,
                            I wanted to share with all of you my experience with Antonio's new book. here's my opinion:
                            I had great satisfaction in turning over page by page. I appreciate all the sections,the images are amazing. finally I can say I have a serious, really interesting book about the art of marbling in my library. It's an useful tool for the ones who already have experience with marbling but at the same time for the ones who start appreciating this art.

                            I advice it to everyone.

                            Rosanna Corrò

                            www.facebook.com/cartevenezia
                            www.flickr.com/photos/cartevenezia/
                            www.cartevenezia.it

                            ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 6, 2012
                                I got a copy, but I wish it was also written in English because I can't read Spanish and thus couldn't enjoy the text... What a shame on my part.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015

                                  A friend bought a set of 3 valuable antiquarian books whose pages had unfortunately been trimmed by the binder. The new covers are also inappropriate, and the owner now plans on having the books recovered, possibly in full leather or half leather with marbled paper sides. Years ago, book edges were often marbled, especially when marbled covers or end papers were used. Is this a practical idea? Would any pretreatment be needed if the book edges were not freshly trimmed? Does anyone do this work nowadays? If they do, what should one expect to pay to have this done?

                                  Robert

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015
                                    I have done a fair bit of it...usually for new editions, where some waste is possible, if it didn't take in a spot, just like on paper. They usually over run and print too many and tos out a few that are bad. For a restoration, it can be a heart in your mouth experience truly. You get no room for a mistake. I would in that case recommend a small stone type pattern where if you have a blank spot it would be easier to paint it in after to match, using the same paints.

                                    You need to first clamp the book block tight by cutting wood boards just a hair smaller than the book all around and then clamping but leaving the edges to be marbled exposed....I presume you will get the unbound book before covers are put on...it is much much safer...really the only proper way. Then you alum the edges...clamping prevents liquid running in, and don't soak the alum in, dab with a sponge. Let it dry, and then you quickly marble the three sides, kind of the first in and roll into the second and then the third. It's a quick movement...

                                    Practice on lots of old paperback books first!!
                                    Iris Nevins
                                    www.marblingpaper.com

                                    On 10/02/15, rgoldenberg@... [Marbling]<Marbling@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                    A friend bought a set of 3 valuable antiquarian books whose pages had unfortunately been trimmed by the binder. The new covers are also inappropriate, and the owner now plans on having the books recovered, possibly in full leather or half leather with marbled paper sides. Years ago, book edges were often marbled, especially when marbled covers or end papers were used. Is this a practical idea? Would any pretreatment be needed if the book edges were not freshly trimmed? Does anyone do this work nowadays? If they do, what should one expect to pay to have this done?

                                    Robert

                                  • Ginny Moreland
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 2, 2015
                                      Iris has covered your answer, but coincidentally Daniel St. John (of Chena River Marblers) will be teaching this technique next week at the Campbell Folkshool.  Regina and he are doing a session there appropriately titled:  "Marbling: You Can Never Have Enough!"  Which is how I feel about still taking classes with new (to me) instructors.

                                      There are still a few spaces left in the class!  class details here

                                      Ginny Moreland
                                      Black Mountain
                                      North Carolina

                                      --
                                      Ginny

                                      Ginny Moreland
                                      Black Mountain, NC

                                      Asheville Choral Society  - "All Creatures Great and Small"  October 3rd 7::30  pm
                                      UU Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley - a welcoming congregation
                                      ColorTwirl Marbling - marbled silk and paper products, instruction, demonstrations