Event: The Arts of Sufism at the Boston MFA- Sunday March 11th 2-4pm

  • Jake Benson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
      The Arts of Sufism
      2 — 4 pm
      Sunday, March 11, 2007
      Remis Auditorium

      Buy Tickets

      Two prominent scholars discuss Sufism—the mystical community within
      Islam—as it relates to aspects of Turkish art and culture. The talk
      complements the exhibition "Marbling and Music: Performing Sufism at a
      Turkish Tekke," which explores artistic and musical traditions
      associated with the Özbekler Tekke, a religious complex for Sufi
      orders near Istanbul. Feridun Özgören performs religious hymns on the
      tanbur, ud, ney, and kudum, all traditional Turkish musical instruments.

      Walter Denny, professor of art history, University of Massachusetts
      Esin Atil, curator of Islamic Art Emeritus, Freer Gallery of Art
      Feridun Özgören, Director of the Cambridge Turkish Music Ensemble, and
      musical instrument maker
      $10 members, seniors, and students; $13 nonmembers/general admission

      Presented with support by the Turkish Cultural Foundation and a
      donation by John and Carol Rutherfurd.

      <http://www.mfa.org/calendar/event.asp?eventkey=25811&date=3/11/2007>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
        Shall I post this to GBW? Or have you done so?

        Any update on the newsletter? Is there info I can also post?

        Thanks
        Iris

        <http://www.mfa.org/calendar/event.asp?eventkey=25811&date=3/11/2007<http://www.mfa.org/calendar/event.asp?eventkey=25811&date=3/11/2007>>

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2007
          Sorry..this was meant to be a private post. I wish group posts can look like it came from the group, not the individual who posted, must be more careful! At least it's nothing embarrassing, LOL!