Hand Papermaking request

  • leech541@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
      Dear Marblers,

      I was surprised and saddened to see the response to the Hand Papermaking
      Magazine request for donations of marbled papers for their popular auction. Andrea
      Peterson is a friend and good person, trying to to a good job for a worthy
      cause. She is also a fellow marbler. This isn't a scam, and just the smallest
      inquiry into the matter could have established her credibility outside of the
      public forum. Suggestions of questionable legitimacy could have and should have
      been avoided. What's more, I believe she wrote to the group at the suggestion
      of another member.

      While I understand that we are all inundated with fraudulent messages in our
      email inboxes, it is hard to believe that the crooks would find advantage in
      targeting marblers.

      This is a fine opportunity to expose marbling, and your own work, to a wider
      and appreciative audience. I would encourage those of you who feel you can
      afford the time, the expense, and the "risk" to participate.

      Tom Leech
      Santa Fe, New Mexico

    • Gail Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
        Hello Tom, I am happy to see a message from you and hope all is well.
        I think this is just another example of the "us vs. them" hysteria
        that seeps into most "groups"....especially marblers!!
        God preserve us from scams, frauds, bad marblers and retirees!!
        Regards, Gail

        On Feb 14, 2007, at 7:47 AM, leech541@... wrote:

        > Dear Marblers,
        >
        > I was surprised and saddened to see the response to the Hand
        > Papermaking
        > Magazine request for donations of marbled papers for their popular
        > auction. Andrea
        > Peterson is a friend and good person, trying to to a good job for a
        > worthy
        > cause. She is also a fellow marbler. This isn't a scam, and just
        > the smallest
        > inquiry into the matter could have established her credibility
        > outside of the
        > public forum. Suggestions of questionable legitimacy could have and
        > should have
        > been avoided. What's more, I believe she wrote to the group at the
        > suggestion
        > of another member.
        >
        > While I understand that we are all inundated with fraudulent
        > messages in our
        > email inboxes, it is hard to believe that the crooks would find
        > advantage in
        > targeting marblers.
        >
        > This is a fine opportunity to expose marbling, and your own work,
        > to a wider
        > and appreciative audience. I would encourage those of you who feel
        > you can
        > afford the time, the expense, and the "risk" to participate.
        >
        > Tom Leech
        > Santa Fe, New Mexico

      • JILL DOLPHIN
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
          Thank you for your clarification Tom. I am certain readers here can appreciate the verification you offer.

          Jill
          List-mom--in a presently snowy Ottawa Ontario Canada

          _____ __o
          ------- -\<,
          ------ ( )/ ( )
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
            I send my apologies Tom, I have unfortunately been targeted this way, as apparently have some others.
            Iris

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 14, 2007
              In defense of Dave, I'd like to say that I can understand his wanting to
              confirm the source of the request for marbling submissions. The request
              had been written in a somewhat more casual and less smooth fashion than I
              would have expected, and he did make a couple of attempts to verify its
              legitimacy as well as apologize in advance in case he was in error. Had
              it been a scam and he'd waited to share his doubts, someone might have
              lost some marbled sheets.

              I'm glad everything is on the up-and-up and I hope that Andrea has great
              success with her project!

              Lavinia Adler