Re: [Marbling] Indigo

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
      Right... I keep forgetting. The can of it I have looks like pigment powder. Have not touched it for a long time!
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
        What is a good alternative to the pure indigo? Does anyone sell it? I have
        alot of luck diluting it with titanium white, I get some gorgeous colors
        that I do not have any trouble with, but it is not the same as the pure
        color.

        Susanne Martin

        >From: "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...>
        >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [Marbling] Indigo
        >Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:07:38 -0000
        >
        >Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to
        >connect chemically to
        >the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a
        >special bath at high
        >temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just
        >the way you
        >describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly
        >big damage.
        >
        >Susanne Krause

        Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
        http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
          I just mix black and ultramarine, add a touch of green if desired. It's very close.
          What is a good alternative to the pure indigo? Does anyone sell it? I have
          alot of luck diluting it with titanium white, I get some gorgeous colors
          that I do not have any trouble with, but it is not the same as the pure
          color.

          Susanne Martin

          >From: "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...<mailto:studio@...>>
          >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Marbling] Indigo
          >Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:07:38 -0000
          >
          >Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to
          >connect chemically to
          >the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a
          >special bath at high
          >temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just
          >the way you
          >describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly
          >big damage.
          >
          >Susanne Krause

          Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. Who will win?
          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001<http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001>

        • Feridun Ozgoren
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
            Greetings,

            Indigo is both a dye and a pigment, depending on whether oxidized or not.
            Before oxidation it is a yellow liquid that the fabrics dyed in and hung
            for oxidation, this makes the fabrics blue in color, after oxidation it
            precipitates as blue pigment which is water insoluble (pigment), that is
            what marblers and other water color artists used for centuries.

            Feridun Ozgoren

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
              Thanks for the info!

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
                In defense of indigo, I have found it a valuable pigment for marbling and my preferred choice for blue. The shade can vary from pale to almost black depending upon dilution. It tends to be a hard, granular pigment and requires longer grinding and mulling than other pigments to make it useable, but when finely mulled I have had no problem with it running or staining. I have tried many different blues and still find that with indigo I can obtain the most uniformity and "old" appearance for Stormont and Shell patterns. It is also very good for mixing colors. Synthetic indigo is also available, although the color is not quite the same and so I have not used it and cannot say how well it makes a paint for marbling.

                Garrett Dixon

                Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to
                connect chemically to
                the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a
                special bath at high
                temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just the
                way you
                describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly big
                damage.

                Susanne Krause

              • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
                  Thank you, Feridun. I should - and could! - have known it but it somehow had escaped my
                  mind. Grrr.

                  Susanne Krause

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                    Garrett... when on the paper though in a fairly deep application, so it is a dark blue, when it dries, doesn't it offset?

                    I know most watercolor marbling will offset a little at least if you try to rub with a white kleenex for example, but ideally it should be very minimal and maybe show on the tissue a bit but not smear the paper or automatically offset onto an opposing sheet in a book.

                    I find Indigo, at least the pigments I have used, it does this violently, unless used in the lightest application, well diluted. I know the answer is to spray fixative on it, but would mean doing easily 100 or more papers a week....ugh.... I prefer to use pigments that behave better for me. I leave the use of fixative up to the end user, but hardly anyone I know of ever uses it on my papers or complains about offsetting.

                    You can really seal the indigo in with a light paraffin coating and burnishing too of course.... but that's an armbuster!!

                    Nice color though!

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Iris,
                      I have not found it to be a problem with the indigo I use - maybe a little more offset than the other colors when squeezed into tight, almost black veins (Prussian blue give me more of this when very concentrated than the indigo), but nothing much when aiming for any range of blue. I have had this problem on two occasions when the papers aluming was not quite strong enough (these were some papers that had sat around in a summer's humidity and they appeared to marble fine but would not hold the pigment when dry), but all the colors were affected to some extent, the earlier thrown on, and therefore more concentrated colors, more so than the later ones.
                      Garrett

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                        Hmmm... well as usual in marbling, lots of factors in different places, different papers etc. do different things! I could never use it... Prussian, true, I avoid that too! Same reason. For me the indigo is worse.