Indigo

  • hamburgerbuntpapier_de
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
      Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to connect chemically to
      the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a special bath at high
      temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just the way you
      describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly big damage.

      Susanne Krause

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
          What is a good alternative to the pure indigo? Does anyone sell it? I have
          alot of luck diluting it with titanium white, I get some gorgeous colors
          that I do not have any trouble with, but it is not the same as the pure
          color.

          Susanne Martin

          >From: "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...>
          >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [Marbling] Indigo
          >Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:07:38 -0000
          >
          >Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to
          >connect chemically to
          >the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a
          >special bath at high
          >temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just
          >the way you
          >describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly
          >big damage.
          >
          >Susanne Krause

          Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
          http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
            I just mix black and ultramarine, add a touch of green if desired. It's very close.
            What is a good alternative to the pure indigo? Does anyone sell it? I have
            alot of luck diluting it with titanium white, I get some gorgeous colors
            that I do not have any trouble with, but it is not the same as the pure
            color.

            Susanne Martin

            >From: "hamburgerbuntpapier_de" <studio@...<mailto:studio@...>>
            >To: Marbling@yahoogroups.com<mailto:Marbling@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: [Marbling] Indigo
            >Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:07:38 -0000
            >
            >Indigo is not a pigment, it is a dye. This means, it needs fixation to
            >connect chemically to
            >the fibre. In textiles, this is achieved by putting the material through a
            >special bath at high
            >temperature - not what paper likes! If not fixated, indigo runs in just
            >the way you
            >describe, Iris, and an amazingly small amount of indigo can do amazingly
            >big damage.
            >
            >Susanne Krause

            Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. Who will win?
            http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001<http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001>

          • Feridun Ozgoren
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
              Greetings,

              Indigo is both a dye and a pigment, depending on whether oxidized or not.
              Before oxidation it is a yellow liquid that the fabrics dyed in and hung
              for oxidation, this makes the fabrics blue in color, after oxidation it
              precipitates as blue pigment which is water insoluble (pigment), that is
              what marblers and other water color artists used for centuries.

              Feridun Ozgoren

              _____

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
                  In defense of indigo, I have found it a valuable pigment for marbling and my preferred choice for blue. The shade can vary from pale to almost black depending upon dilution. It tends to be a hard, granular pigment and requires longer grinding and mulling than other pigments to make it useable, but when finely mulled I have had no problem with it running or staining. I have tried many different blues and still find that with indigo I can obtain the most uniformity and "old" appearance for Stormont and Shell patterns. It is also very good for mixing colors. Synthetic indigo is also available, although the color is not quite the same and so I have not used it and cannot say how well it makes a paint for marbling.

                  Garrett Dixon

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 10, 2007
                    Thank you, Feridun. I should - and could! - have known it but it somehow had escaped my
                    mind. Grrr.

                    Susanne Krause

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                      Garrett... when on the paper though in a fairly deep application, so it is a dark blue, when it dries, doesn't it offset?

                      I know most watercolor marbling will offset a little at least if you try to rub with a white kleenex for example, but ideally it should be very minimal and maybe show on the tissue a bit but not smear the paper or automatically offset onto an opposing sheet in a book.

                      I find Indigo, at least the pigments I have used, it does this violently, unless used in the lightest application, well diluted. I know the answer is to spray fixative on it, but would mean doing easily 100 or more papers a week....ugh.... I prefer to use pigments that behave better for me. I leave the use of fixative up to the end user, but hardly anyone I know of ever uses it on my papers or complains about offsetting.

                      You can really seal the indigo in with a light paraffin coating and burnishing too of course.... but that's an armbuster!!

                      Nice color though!

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                        Iris,
                        I have not found it to be a problem with the indigo I use - maybe a little more offset than the other colors when squeezed into tight, almost black veins (Prussian blue give me more of this when very concentrated than the indigo), but nothing much when aiming for any range of blue. I have had this problem on two occasions when the papers aluming was not quite strong enough (these were some papers that had sat around in a summer's humidity and they appeared to marble fine but would not hold the pigment when dry), but all the colors were affected to some extent, the earlier thrown on, and therefore more concentrated colors, more so than the later ones.
                        Garrett

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 11, 2007
                          Hmmm... well as usual in marbling, lots of factors in different places, different papers etc. do different things! I could never use it... Prussian, true, I avoid that too! Same reason. For me the indigo is worse.