Marbling Demo Video on Youtube

  • angchengsiew
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
      Greetings fellow members,

      Another treat on youtube.com

      This time a marbling demonstration by a group of Turkish artists at
      the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on Oct 29, 2006

      Link here: <http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAh-7oCJM8E>
    • Bette Abdu
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
        Thank you for posting the link to this You Tube video. I was privileged to
        attend this demonstration at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston on 10/29/06 ‹
        it was really wonderful. The gentleman who is doing the marbling is Feridun
        Ozgoran. He maintains a marbling studio in East Boston. You may wish to
        view some of his work and learn about him at http://www.sufism.org/Feridun/

        This demonstration was a part of an exhibition and presentation of music as
        well.
        The exhibition runs until 4/25/07
        http://mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.asp?key=15&subkey=3470

        Marbling and Music: Performing Sufism at a Turkish Tekke
        Friday, July 21, 2006 - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
        Best regards
        Bette Abdu in NH

        On 1/8/07 4:02 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@...> wrote:

        > Greetings fellow members,
        >
        > Another treat on youtube.com
        >
        > This time a marbling demonstration by a group of Turkish artists at
        > the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on Oct 29, 2006
        >
        > Link here: <http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAh-7oCJM8E>

      • Paulette Quann

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
            How great for you that you were able to attend the marbling demonstration.
            I'm envious ( I live in Mexico. I'm the only marbler in my city! No demonstrations gong on!)!
            I'm curious...do you remember what paints he was using. It's seems as though you can hear him say that he doesn't use acrylics. Was he marbling with oils?
            Thanks in advance for your response.
            Warm Regards,
            Paulette Quann

            Friday, July 21, 2006 - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
            Best regards

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 8, 2007
              Feridun told me that he uses water based paints that he creates from
              pigments he buys in Turkey. A few of these paints can Œgo bad¹ so with
              those he adds a drop or two of formaldehyde.

              On 1/8/07 11:28 AM, "Paulette Quann" <pauliquann@...> wrote:

              > How great for you that you were able to attend the marbling demonstration.
              > I'm envious ( I live in Mexico. I'm the only marbler in my city! No
              > demonstrations gong on!)!
              > I'm curious...do you remember what paints he was using. It's seems as though
              > you can hear him say that he doesn't use acrylics. Was he marbling with oils?
              > Thanks in advance for your response.
              > Warm Regards,
              > Paulette Quann
              >
              > Bette Abdu <babdu@... <mailto:babdu%40metrocast.net> > wrote:
              > Thank you for posting the link to this You Tube video. I was privileged to
              > attend this demonstration at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston on 10/29/06 ‹
              > it was really wonderful. The gentleman who is doing the marbling is Feridun
              > Ozgoran. He maintains a marbling studio in East Boston. You may wish to
              > view some of his work and learn about him at http://www.sufism.org/Feridun/
              >
              > This demonstration was a part of an exhibition and presentation of music as
              > well.
              > The exhibition runs until 4/25/07
              > http://mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.asp?key=15&subkey=3470
              > <http://mfa.org/exhibitions/sub.asp?key=15&subkey=3470>
              >
              > Marbling and Music: Performing Sufism at a Turkish Tekke
              > Friday, July 21, 2006 - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
              > Best regards
              > Bette Abdu in NH
              >
              > On 1/8/07 4:02 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@...
              > <mailto:angchengsiew%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
              >> >
              >> > Greetings fellow members,
              >> >
              >> > Another treat on youtube.com
              >> >
              >> > This time a marbling demonstration by a group of Turkish artists at
              >> > the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on Oct 29, 2006
              >> >
              >> > Link here: <http://youtube.com/watch?v=gAh-7oCJM8E>

            • meltem arslan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                Hi,

                It looks like he was marbling by using water based natural soil and oxide colors.

                Best wishes from Istanbul,

                Meltem

                Friday, July 21, 2006 - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
                Best regards
                Bette Abdu in NH

                On 1/8/07 4:02 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                > Greetings fellow members,
                >
                > Another treat on youtube.com
                >
                > This time a marbling demonstration by a group of Turkish artists at
                > the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on Oct 29, 2006
                >
                > Link here: <http://youtube. com/watch? v=gAh-7oCJM8E>

                Do You Yahoo!?
                http://mail. yahoo.com

              • meltem arslan
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                  Here is a link of a shop which sells those pigments in Kucukayasofya in Istanbul.

                  http://www.ayanebru.com/

                  Feridun told me that he uses water based paints that he creates from
                  pigments he buys in Turkey. A few of these paints can �go bad� so with

                  On 1/8/07 11:28 AM, "Paulette Quann" <pauliquann@yahoo. com> wrote:

                  > How great for you that you were able to attend the marbling demonstration.
                  > I'm envious ( I live in Mexico. I'm the only marbler in my city! No
                  > demonstrations gong on!)!
                  > I'm curious...do you remember what paints he was using. It's seems as though
                  > you can hear him say that he doesn't use acrylics. Was he marbling with oils?
                  > Thanks in advance for your response.
                  > Warm Regards,
                  > Paulette Quann
                  >
                  > Bette Abdu <babdu@metrocast. net <mailto:babdu% 40metrocast. net> > wrote:
                  > Thank you for posting the link to this You Tube video. I was privileged to
                  > attend this demonstration at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston on 10/29/06 �
                  > it was really wonderful. The gentleman who is doing the marbling is Feridun
                  > Ozgoran. He maintains a marbling studio in East Boston. You may wish to
                  > view some of his work and learn about him at http://www.sufism. org/Feridun/
                  >
                  > This demonstration was a part of an exhibition and presentation of music as
                  > well.
                  > The exhibition runs until 4/25/07
                  > http://mfa.org/ exhibitions/ sub.asp?key= 15&subkey= 3470
                  > <http://mfa.org/ exhibitions/ sub.asp?key= 15&subkey= 3470>
                  >
                  > Marbling and Music: Performing Sufism at a Turkish Tekke
                  > Friday, July 21, 2006 - Wednesday, April 25, 2007
                  > Best regards
                  > Bette Abdu in NH
                  >
                  > On 1/8/07 4:02 AM, "angchengsiew" <angchengsiew@ yahoo.com
                  > <mailto:angchengsie w%40yahoo. com> > wrote:
                  >> >
                  >> > Greetings fellow members,
                  >> >
                  >> > Another treat on youtube.com
                  >> >
                  >> > This time a marbling demonstration by a group of Turkish artists at
                  >> > the Boston Museum of Fine Arts on Oct 29, 2006
                  >> >
                  >> > Link here: <http://youtube. com/watch? v=gAh-7oCJM8E>

                  > Do You Yahoo!?
                  > http://mail. yahoo.com

                • Feridun Ozgoren
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                    Dear Meltem,

                    Looks can be deceiving. Prussian Blue (which is a synthetic pigment) "looks
                    like" Lahor cividi (Indigo), but it is neither natural nor it has anything
                    to do with Lahor. Yes, I use water base pigments but none of them is either
                    "natural" or "soil" colors. There is no colorant in the classification of
                    pigments named as "soil colors" anyway. I am well aware of the persistent
                    claim that in the traditional way of Turkish marbling only natural colors
                    are used.
                    But, for example, White lead (ustubec in Turkish) was mentioned in Tertib-I
                    Risale-I Ebru (1608 AD) and was extensively used in traditional Turkish
                    marbling but it is NOT a "natural" color. In 20th and 21th century most of
                    "traditionalist" ebru makers in Turkey used and still are using synthetic
                    pigments.

                    Yes, some of my pigments are from http://www.ayanebru.com/ and I am very
                    satisfied with them, I purchase them in powder form and prepare my colors
                    myself. But he sells prepared ones also.

                    Happy new year to all.

                    Feridun Ozgoren

                    PS. If you want to write me privately my e-mail address is
                    feridun.ozgoren@...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2007
                      I am with you Feridun, natural is not always better. If the synthetics behave better for marbling, or are cheaper and give the same effect, use them. The ancients would have jumped at the chance if they had it! Sometimes the natural earth pigments are better, other times not.

                      Cadmium red, is the closest thing in my opinion available that can closely mimic those deep Victorian Red/Maroon colors. The one I use to make paints has some chalk in it, not the pure form.... the result, since the chalk decreases the specific gravity of the cadmium, lead, is that it stays afloat longer and you get a brighter deeper red than if you use the pure pigment. At least it is true for me, and red is so problematical in marbling, always a battle (I am talking strictly water colors here), I would take anything, any how, any way, that gives that particular red.

                      I do have the reputation of being a die hard traditional marbler, so people are surprised by this. I am always experimenting to see what works better. Pure ultramarine... I don't know if I could afford the ground up pure lapis lazuli form, and the synthetic form works brilliantly. I don't care what the source is, I care about how the paper looks more than being a purist.

                      Real indigo drives me insane. I will never use it and would make it up only on special order as a paint, and even then with grave caution about its bad points. Once dry on the paper, it smears like mad unless you use tons of fixative. Bookbinders and other customers of mine would kill me! And HAVE killed me way back when I have used it and it offset onto the pages, their hands, ruined a book. I make a near equal color now myself out of materials that don't do this.

                      I know there is some mystique in using the pure forms of things, but as Feridun says, give me reality, give me what works best, at the least cost, with the best results. it's all about the end product anyway.

                      And to answer the next question that may arise, no, I have not found that the synthetics are causing ruination of the papers over time, nor do they seem to make things more acidic. Not according to my tests anyway.

                      Iris Nevins
                      www.marblingpaper.com

                      Yes, some of my pigments are from http://www.ayanebru.com/<http://www.ayanebru.com/> and I am very

                      feridun.ozgoren@...<mailto:feridun.ozgoren@...>